1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Introductory Linear Alebra proof question

1. Jul 5, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A be an n x n matrix and let x and y be vectors in R^n. Show that if Ax = Ay and x [tex]\neq[/tex] y, then the matrix A must be singular.

2. Relevant equations
    So far we have learned the definition of a matrix that has an inverse to be one where: if there exists a matrix B and AB = BA = I. The matrix B is said to be the multiplicative inverse of A.

3. The attempt at a solution

I have done earlier problems that involved proving things have an inverse with the above definition, however I can not think of how to apply it to this problem.

So what I did was use my knowledge from earlier classes (also this concept was touched upon a few problems earlier, but has not yet been defined), that if the determinant = 0 then the matrix does not have an inverse. But I have not found anything that helps me.

A = |a11 a12| x = x1 y = y1
    |a21 a22| x2 y2

Ax = Ay

(this is supposed to read as Ax = Ay expanded, sorry.
    |a11*x1 + a12*x2| |a11*x1 + a12*x2|
    | | = | |
    |a21*x1 + a22*x2| |a21*x1 + a22*x2|

I've been getting it into equations like: a11(x1-y1) + a12(x2-y2) = 0, and a few similar things, but I have not yet found something that will fit into the formula for the determinant.

So am I on the right track? If i am please give me some hints on how to proceed, if not then let me know what to do please. Thanks a lot, and sorry if anything is unclear.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If Av=0 for some nonzero vector v, then A is not invertible. Can you see why that's true from your definition of invertible? Can you see why that might be true from what you are given?
  4. Jul 6, 2010 #3

Homework Helper

If A has a zero eigenvalue then A is singular (definition) This has shown to be the case in previous posts.
  5. Jul 6, 2010 #4
    If you're still stuck, try a proof by contradiction. Assume A is nonsingular, i.e. A-1 exists. Since this is a proof by contradiction, you should expect to either contradict one of your premises (e.g. x [tex]\neq[/tex] y) or to arrive at something that clearly doesn't make sense (e.g. 1 = 0).
    You can easily arrive at the former contradiction if you recall that A-1A = AA-1 = I.

We often prefer straightforward proofs over proofs by contradiction, but either method seems fine here since no real insight in the theory is lost in this case by the latter approach. I hope this helped a bit.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook