QED textbook that covers QED cavity and Purcell effect

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a QED textbook that covers QED cavity and Purcell effect in one of its chapters, but they do not need an in-depth understanding of these topics. They are asking for recommendations for a good textbook and someone suggests Zangwill's textbook, which they think covers the Purcell effect.
HAYAO
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dear all,

I am looking for an introductory QED textbook (or quantum optics if not) that also covers QED cavity and Purcell effect in one of its chapters. I am not planning to extensively understand every single detail about QED cavity and Purcell effect since I am not a physicist and I don't really need to go that far. However, I would like to know the basic theoretical treatment of these effects.

Could someone recommend me a good textbook?

Thank you,
HAYAO

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure but I think that Purcell effect is covered is Zangwill's textbook, funny you mention it I think I glossed over this topic yesterday.

Likes HAYAO
MathematicalPhysicist said:
I am not sure but I think that Purcell effect is covered is Zangwill's textbook, funny you mention it I think I glossed over this topic yesterday.
Thank you, but I think Zangwill's textbook (Modern Electrodynamics?) is mainly classical electrodynamics...

1. What is QED and how does it relate to a textbook on cavity and Purcell effect?

QED, or quantum electrodynamics, is a theory that explains the interactions between light and matter. A textbook on QED cavity and Purcell effect would cover the principles and applications of this theory in relation to the behavior of light in a confined space, known as a cavity, and the enhancement of certain light-matter interactions, known as the Purcell effect.

2. What is a cavity in the context of QED and how does it affect light?

A cavity, in the context of QED, is a confined space or structure in which light can be trapped and repeatedly reflected. This allows for the manipulation and control of light, which is essential for applications such as lasers and optical communication. The behavior of light in a cavity is governed by the principles of QED, making it an important concept in the study of this theory.

3. What is the Purcell effect and why is it important in QED?

The Purcell effect is the enhancement of certain light-matter interactions that occurs in a cavity. This effect is named after physicist Edward Purcell, who first described it in 1946. In QED, the Purcell effect is important because it allows for the amplification and control of light emission, making it crucial for technologies such as lasers and quantum computing.

4. What is the significance of studying QED cavity and Purcell effect?

Studying QED cavity and Purcell effect has both theoretical and practical significance. On a theoretical level, it allows for a deeper understanding of the interactions between light and matter, which is essential for many areas of physics. On a practical level, it has numerous applications in fields such as optics, quantum computing, and telecommunications.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the Purcell effect in action?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of the Purcell effect. One notable example is the use of microcavities in laser technology. By confining light in a small space, the Purcell effect can be utilized to enhance the emission of light and create more efficient and powerful lasers. This is just one of the many applications of the Purcell effect in various technologies.