I Invariant symbol implies existence of singlet representation

I don't understand what the last paragraph of the attached page means. Why does the Kronecker delta being an invariant symbol mean that the product of a representation R and its complex conjugate representation has the singlet representation with all matrices being zero?

Doesn't the number zero always form a trivial one-dimensional representation of any group, because when plugged into the equation ##[T ^a , T ^b] = i f^{\text{abc}} T^c## it trivially satisfies it?
1.png

Attachments

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
It is not a matter of the possible existence of a one-dimensional representation. It is about the product representation of R and its complex conjugate containing a singlet representation when decomposed into irreducible representations. The singlet representation is the trivial representation.

It is not a matter of the possible existence of a one-dimensional representation. It is about the product representation of R and its complex conjugate containing a singlet representation when decomposed into irreducible representations. The singlet representation is the trivial representation.
Why does the Kronecker being invariant mean that the ##R \otimes \overline{R}## can be decomposed into a direct sum of the singlet representation and other irreps?

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
Because being invariant is the fundamental property of being in the trivial representation.