1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse Dynamics - 2 Rigid Bodies connected with hinge

1. May 15, 2013 #1
    I am trying to simulate and animate inverse dynamics. So I need to calculate torques. I started out by just taking a rod which rotates about its COM, applied a torque and then just used [itex]\tau=I\alpha[/itex] to make sure I get back the same torque I applied. Next, I attached the rod to the ground with a hinge joint. This time to get the torque I used the parallel axis theorem to get [itex]\tau=(I_{COM}+Mh^2)\alpha[/itex]. So my next step is to attach a second rod to the end of the one attached to the ground. What I am stuck on now is I am not sure how the two rods interact.

For example how do I calculate the torque on the rod connected to the ground? When it is just one rod I used the aforementioned [itex]\tau=(I_{COM}+Mh^2)\alpha[/itex], but now with the other rod attached to it, what else do I need to take into account? Is there a negative torque on the opposite side?

Note: For now I have disabled gravity.

I would appreciate any insight. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are not familiar with Lagrangian dynamics, this would be a good excuse to do so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook