Inverse Fourier, can't factor denominator, can't use partial frac.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
fishingspree2
Messages
138
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Inverse Fourier of:
[ jω+2 ] / [ (jω)2 +5jω+9 ] where j = sqrt(-1)

I tried using partial fractions but the denominator can't be factored...I tried completing the square on the denominator but I get a sum of squares.

What can I try? I am sure I don't have to use the formal definition using the integral, there has to be a way of manipulating it to be able to use the table.

thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fishingspree2 said:

Homework Statement



Inverse Fourier of:
[ jω+2 ] / [ (jω)2 +5jω+9 ] where j = sqrt(-1)

I tried using partial fractions but the denominator can't be factored...I tried completing the square on the denominator but I get a sum of squares.

What can I try? I am sure I don't have to use the formal definition using the integral, there has to be a way of manipulating it to be able to use the table.

thank you!

Why would you say the denominator can't be factored? It is just a quadratic in ω, so certainly has two roots.

RGV
 
Alright, I will try to see if it leads me somewhere, do you think I'll be able to solve it this way? it seems like it will get messy