1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inverse mapping theorem & local inverses

1. Nov 29, 2007 #1
    [Related concepts: Inverse mapping theorem, transformations and coordinate systems]

1) For each of the following transformations (u,v) = f(x,y), (i) compute det Df, (ii) find formulas for the local inverses of f when they exist.
    a) u=x^2, v=y/x
    b) u=(e^x) cos y, v=(e^x) sin y

I got part (i) easily, but I don't understand part (iii) at all.

Here are the answers from the solutions manual:
    For 1a)(iii), the answer is f^-1 (u,v) = (sqrt u, v (sqrt u) )
    For 1b)(iii), the answer is
    x= ln(u^2 + v^2) / 2
    y is given up to multiples of 2pi by arctan(v/u) when u>0, pi/2 - arctan(u/v) when v>0, pi + arctan(v/u) when u<0, 3pi/2 - arctan(u/v) when v<0

But they didn't show any of the steps, nor do they show me how they arrive at the answers. Can someone please explain this part? How exactly can I find the formula for the local inverse? I am terribly confused...

Thanks a million!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have two equations. Solve for x and y.

4. Nov 30, 2007 #3
    The first one should be fairly easy. In the second one what you need to do is eliminate x so that you can solve for y in terms of u and v only and then eliminate y so that you can solve for x in terms of u and v only.

If you're stuck on solving for x and y, then just consider u^2 + v^2 and u/v.

5. Nov 30, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The crucial point is what Hurkyl said: solve u= x2, v= y/x for x and y in terms of u and v. Try it. If you have difficulty get back to us.

6. Nov 30, 2007 #5
    1a)(iii) Solving for x and y, I get x=+/-sqrt u, y=+/-v (sqrt u), but the answer says that f^-1 (u,v) = (sqrt u, v (sqrt u) ), they only take the positive signs, this is what I don't understand...

How can I do so?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  7. Nov 30, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A function does not have two values! Since you say you got part i easily, I presume you showed that there is a local inverse as long as x is not 0. You can guarantee a local inverse by restricting x to be positive or negative. If you restrict x to be positive, the "local" inverse function is [itex]x= \sqrt{u}[/itex], [itex]y= v\sqrt{u}[/itex]. If you restrict x to be negative, the "local" inverse function is [itex]x= -\sqrt{u}[/itex], [itex]y= -v\sqrt{u}[/itex]. Each part has a unique inverse function- you can't write them together.

8. Nov 30, 2007 #7
    Yes, I showed that there is a local inverse as long as x is not 0

So now there are two answers to (iii) [itex]x= \sqrt{u}[/itex], [itex]y= v\sqrt{u}[/itex] and [itex]x= -\sqrt{u}[/itex], [itex]y= -v\sqrt{u}[/itex].
    Now how can I decide which one to take? If I just take one of them, would it still be a complete answer? Which one is the correct answer that the question is actually looking for?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2007
  9. Dec 1, 2007 #8
    Can someone please explain this part? I really want to understand it...Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?