Inverse Muon Decay differential cross section

In summary: Inverse Muon Decay (IMD) are always given in the CM frame. This is because it is easier to do cross section calculations in the CM frame. However, the differential cross section isn't lorentz invariant, so you can't use the CM frame quantities to calculate it.
Disinterred
Why is it that the differential cross section for processes like Inverse Muon Decay (IMD) are always given in the CM frame? Every paper I have seen that discusses Inverse Muon Decay gives the differential cross section in CM frame. Is it very hard to calculate the differential cross section in the lab frame where the electron is at rest?

To be clear, IMD is this process:

[itex]\nu[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex] + e [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\nu[/itex]e + [itex]\mu[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Disinterred said:
Why is it that the differential cross section for processes like Inverse Muon Decay (IMD) are always given in the CM frame? Every paper I have seen that discusses Inverse Muon Decay gives the differential cross section in CM frame. Is it very hard to calculate the differential cross section in the lab frame where the electron is at rest?

To be clear, IMD is this process:

[itex]\nu[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex] + e [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\nu[/itex]e + [itex]\mu[/itex]

It is typically easier to do cross section calculations in the CM frame. You just then do a lorentz transformation to the Lab frame. Or you use a lorentz invariant form of the differential cross section.

Thanks for the reply! That was kind of what I was thinking. But the differential cross section isn't lorentz invariant (at least I would think it isn't). So the best you could do is find some relationship between the CM frame components and the Lab frame components and dump those in. But the differential cross section will still be from the CM point of view, regardless of the fact that you could calculate it with measured lab frame quantities.

Disinterred said:
Thanks for the reply! That was kind of what I was thinking. But the differential cross section isn't lorentz invariant (at least I would think it isn't).
For a 2 -> 2 process (like you talked about above) the spectral (or equivalently the angular) differential cross section is not lorentz invariant. But for other types of interactions, for instance the A + B -> C + X where A, B, C are defined particles and X is any other combination of particles, the so-called inclusive differential cross section can be written in a lorentz invariant way. Usually called the lorentz invariant differential cross section (LIDCS).

You can have a look at this paper (section 4): http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20080043627_2008043417.pdf

Or this one: http://www-zeuthen.desy.de/~pohlmadq/teach/582/ch2.pdf For more information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks again for the reply. I believe that answers everything I wanted to know.

Cheers
Disinterred

1. What is the concept of "Inverse Muon Decay differential cross section"?

The Inverse Muon Decay differential cross section is a measurement used in high-energy physics to understand the interaction between particles. It is a measure of the probability of a muon decaying into an electron and two neutrinos, given a specific energy and angle of the particles.

2. How is the Inverse Muon Decay differential cross section calculated?

The Inverse Muon Decay differential cross section is calculated by taking the collision energy, the angle of the particles, and the particle masses into account. This calculation involves complex mathematical equations and is typically done using computer simulations.

3. What is the significance of studying the Inverse Muon Decay differential cross section?

Studying the Inverse Muon Decay differential cross section allows scientists to understand the fundamental interactions between particles at a high energy level. This can lead to a better understanding of the structure of matter and the underlying laws of the universe.

4. How does the Inverse Muon Decay differential cross section relate to other measurements in particle physics?

The Inverse Muon Decay differential cross section is related to other measurements in particle physics, such as the cross section for muon decay and the differential cross section for other particle interactions. These measurements provide different perspectives on the same phenomena and help to validate each other's results.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Inverse Muon Decay differential cross section?

While the Inverse Muon Decay differential cross section is primarily used for theoretical and research purposes, it has some practical applications. For example, it can be used to understand and improve the performance of particle accelerators and radiation therapy techniques for cancer treatment.