Invertibility of the product of matrices

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Matrices Product
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Mr Davis 97
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
44

Homework Statement


Let A and B be n by n matrices such that A is invertible and B is not invertible.
Then, AB is not invertible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



We know that A is invertible, so there exists a matrix C such that CA = I. Then we can right -multiply by B so that CAB = IB = I. Then by the associative property C(AB) = I. By the same argument, we can show that there is a C such that (AB)C = I. So AB has an inverse.

Obviously this is wrong, because in order for AB to have an inverse, both A and B must have an inverse. So what am I doing wrong?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you should concentrate on the non invertible part. What does it mean to B, not being invertible? Is there a positive property, i.e. without the use of non, not or no?
 
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement


Let A and B be n by n matrices such that A is invertible and B is not invertible.
Then, AB is not invertible.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution



We know that A is invertible, so there exists a matrix C such that CA = I. Then we can right -multiply by B so that CAB = IB = I. Then by the associative property C(AB) = I. By the same argument, we can show that there is a C such that (AB)C = I. So AB has an inverse.

Obviously this is wrong, because in order for AB to have an inverse, both A and B must have an inverse. So what am I doing wrong?

What tools/results are you allowed to use? Do you know about determinants? Do you know how determinants relate to the invertability/non-invertability of a matrix?
 
Assume that ##AB## is invertible. This means that there is a ##C## such that ##CAB = I## and ##ABC = I##. Can you prove now that ##B## is invertible? (and thus deriving a contradiction).