1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Invertibility of the product of matrices

1. Sep 22, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A and B be n by n matrices such that A is invertible and B is not invertible.
    Then, AB is not invertible.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

We know that A is invertible, so there exists a matrix C such that CA = I. Then we can right -multiply by B so that CAB = IB = I. Then by the associative property C(AB) = I. By the same argument, we can show that there is a C such that (AB)C = I. So AB has an inverse.

Obviously this is wrong, because in order for AB to have an inverse, both A and B must have an inverse. So what am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2016 #2
    CAB=IB but you cant conclude IB=I, IB=B

4. Sep 22, 2016 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Maybe you should concentrate on the non invertible part. What does it mean to B, not being invertible? Is there a positive property, i.e. without the use of non, not or no?

5. Sep 22, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What tools/results are you allowed to use? Do you know about determinants? Do you know how determinants relate to the invertability/non-invertability of a matrix?

6. Sep 25, 2016 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Assume that ##AB## is invertible. This means that there is a ##C## such that ##CAB = I## and ##ABC = I##. Can you prove now that ##B## is invertible? (and thus deriving a contradiction).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted