1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Invertible linear transformation

1. Jan 26, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If T is a linear transformation on R^n with || T-I || < 1, prove that T is invertible.

3. The attempt at a solution

So a linear transformation T is invertible iff the matrix T is not singular.
    and I know for any matrix A, ||A|| > spectral radius(A).

so, spectral radius(T-I) < 1.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2010 #2
    What would happen to T-I, if 0 was an eigenvalue of T? Is it compatible with the hypothesis?

4. Jan 26, 2010 #3
    if 0 was an eigenvalue of T then T would be singular..

5. Jan 26, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, so if T is not invertible then Tv=0 for some v. So v corresponds to what eigenvalue of T-I?

6. Jan 26, 2010 #5
    0 = λ*v + I*v
    => -1 = λ

but I know my spectral radius is <1 so contradiction...

7. Jan 26, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. That's it. You could also say (T+I)v=(-v) means ||T+I||>=1 and not even say anything about spectral radius. Still a contradiction with ||T+I||<1.

8. Jan 26, 2010 #7
    I need to show: sum from k=0 to infinity of (I-T)^k converges absolutely to T^(-1)

so if ||T-I|| <1 then is ||I-T|| < 1? and all the properties I listed carry over? I'm still not too sure where to go with this.

when the spectral radius is <1, the higher powers of the matrix tend to 0, so it clearly converges...

9. Jan 26, 2010 #8
    For any norm [tex]\left\|v\right\|=\left\|-v\right\|[/tex]. Regarding the limit, remember the form of the geometric series.

10. Jan 26, 2010 #9
    In fact, it's easier if you consider a matrix [tex]S[/tex], with [tex]\left\|S\right\|<1[/tex] and prove that:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}S^n[/tex]

Converges absolutely and compute the limit.

11. Jan 28, 2010 #10
    There is a thm that says if spectral norm <1 then A^n -> 0 as n-> infinity.

and I proved above that spectral norm is <1

so I'm lost again...

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  12. Jan 29, 2010 #11
    What can you say about the real series:
    [tex]
    \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left\|S\right\|^n
    [/tex]
    When [tex]\left\|S\right\|<1[/tex]? Does it converge? if yes, what's the sum? Is it related to ypur original series if S = I-T?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?