Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Investigation into infinite limits

1. Mar 23, 2009 #1
    I was looking into infinite limits and sequences and looked at the Limit
    Lim {f(n+1)/f(n)}
    n->∞
    I was looking to see if there were any significant patterns and i couldn't even solve. It was proposed to me by a friend am I just having a bad case of limit block or is it as difficult as it seems??

p.s f(n+1) = f sub (n+1)
    f(n) = f sub n

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2009 #2
    If I'm reading your notation correctly, how difficult it is depends on the form of f(n).

4. Mar 23, 2009 #3
    it can be what you like and by difficult i mean mentally challenging not solvability haha

5. Mar 24, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then what in the world is your question?

6. Mar 24, 2009 #5
    surely the nature of the limit is defined by the nature of f(n)?

7. Mar 24, 2009 #6
    Let f(n) = 1 for all n. Then the limit is 1.

Let f(n) = c^n. Then the limit is 1/c.

Let f(n) = p(x). Then the limit is 1.

Let f(n) = sin(n). Then the limit is undefined.

Let f(n) = (-1)^n. Then the limit is -1.

etc.

These were all pretty easy. I guess the answer to your question, then, may be that they're, in general, not very hard at all. Of course, I could say

f(n) = (n^n)sin(ln(n))/(n!)(ln n!)

Give that one a shot and let me know how it turns out.

8. Mar 24, 2009 #7
    since in the infinite series n must be greater than or equal to 1 we can take the example that n=10 thus we say that
    lim f(subscript)n/f(subscript)n+1
    n->10

is equal to the series
    (f1, f2, f3, f4, f5, f6 ,f7, f8, f9,f10)/(f1,f2,f3,f4,f5,f6,f7,f8,f9,f10.f11)

with the common parts of each series eliminated what is left is
    1/(f11)
    thus if we say that n=x where both n and x are integers greater than or equal to 1
    so that
    lim f(subscript)n/f(subscript)n+1 = 1/(f[x+1])
    n->x
    that way we can set x=∞
    lim f(subscript)n/f(subscript)n+1 = 1/(f[∞+1]) = 1/∞ = 0
    n-> ∞
    there fore
    Lim {f(n+1)/f(n)} = 0
    n->∞

Q.E.D??

9. Mar 24, 2009 #8
    Ummm, I think you have something of a misunderstanding of what sequence, series, etc. mean and what lim(f_n / f_n+1) means.

A sequence is a function from the (positive...let's say) integers to the real numbers.
    f: N -> R

A sequence can have a limit as n goes to infinity if f(n) gets arbitrarily close to some finite value as you make n arbitrarily large.

A series is a limit of partial sums of a sequence f(n) as the number of terms in the partial sums goes to infinity.

As a counterexample to:
    Lim {f(n+1)/f(n)} = 0
    n->∞

Try f(n) = n. Then f(n+1)/f(n) = n+1/n = 1+1/n and the limit of this is 1, not zero.

10. Mar 25, 2009 #9
    hmm k i think i might have misunderstood the initial equation but you explanation makes sense thank you kindly

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook