Ion Thrusters - How much do they cost?

• Thread starter CognitiveNet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ion
In summary, ion thrusters used for space vessels, such as sending satellites into space, can range from tens of thousands to millions of dollars per unit. The cost depends on the specific spacecraft and its mission. These types of thrusters are not found off-the-rack and can be found through manufacturers such as Boeing and Aerojet. In terms of acceleration, the thrust required to reach a certain speed in empty space is equivalent to the desired acceleration rate, since there are no external forces acting on the spacecraft.
CognitiveNet
Ion Thrusters which are used for space vessels, such as sending sattelites into space, how much do they cost?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the spacecraft and it's mission.
Never heard of off-the-rack ion drives.
iirc: costs can range from 10's of thousands to milions per unit.

What is your interest.

See :
http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/space/bss/factsheets/xips/xips.html
http://www.aerojet.com/capabilities/ spacecraft .php

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon Bridge said:
Depends on the spacecraft and it's mission.
Never heard of off-the-rack ion drives.
iirc: costs can range from 10's of thousands to milions per unit.

What is your interest.

See :
http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/space/bss/factsheets/xips/xips.html
http://www.aerojet.com/capabilities/ spacecraft .php

I have a reactor which produces 100KW and weights about 500Kg.
The thrust I'm looking for here is being able to reach speeds of 1000Km/h.
But the vessel however, will start its ion drive at about 100 miles above the Earth's surface.
So I'm looking for something bellow 100K USD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well then approach the manufacturers and tell them your requirements - what are you messing with us for??!

Note: the thruster will accelerate your craft for as long as it has power and fuel ... there is no theoretical top speed...

CognitiveNet said:
I have a reactor which produces 100KW and weights about 500Kg.

Please do not post nonsense here on the PF.

Simon Bridge said:
Well then approach the manufacturers and tell them your requirements - what are you messing with us for??!

Note: the thruster will accelerate your craft for as long as it has power and fuel ... there is no theoretical top speed...

I must ask. Since the minimum required thrust to escape Earth is 9,81N/Kg, and I wanted to accelerate 10m/s^2, I would need a thrust of 19,81N/Kg. If my spaceship weights 300Kg, I would need a thrust of (10+9,81)*300= 5943 Newton. After 4 minutes and 38 seconds I would be traveling at 10'000km/h. So my question is, if you would be in empty space, the thrust required in order to reach the same velocity from 0km/h, would be equivalent to 10m/s^2 + 0m/s^2, because there is nothing dragging you down. Is this correct?

You know we have a sci-fi forum - this thread would probably do better there.

Thrust accelerates you. Without a retarding force, any thrust will get you to any speed eventually. There is no theoretical top speed. You are limited by the reaction mass and energy you carry.

CognitiveNet said:
Ion Thrusters which are used for space vessels, such as sending sattelites into space
Ion thrusters capable of sending satellites into space do not exist. Thrust to weight ratio of modern ion thrusters is very low, making them impossible to use until you have at least established an orbit.

Perhaps he means "sending satellites further into space"?

CognitiveNet said:
I must ask. Since the minimum required thrust to escape Earth is 9,81N/Kg, and I wanted to accelerate 10m/s^2, I would need a thrust of 19,81N/Kg. If my spaceship weights 300Kg, I would need a thrust of (10+9,81)*300= 5943 Newton. After 4 minutes and 38 seconds I would be traveling at 10'000km/h. So my question is, if you would be in empty space, the thrust required in order to reach the same velocity from 0km/h, would be equivalent to 10m/s^2 + 0m/s^2, because there is nothing dragging you down. Is this correct?

If you aren't near a gravitational source then you only have to apply enough force to counteract your own inertia. Which is ANY amount of force. The more force you apply the faster you will accelerate.

1. What is the average cost of an ion thruster?

The average cost of an ion thruster can range from $500,000 to $1 million USD. However, the cost can vary depending on the specific type and size of the thruster, as well as the manufacturer.

2. How does the cost of an ion thruster compare to traditional rocket engines?

Ion thrusters tend to be more expensive than traditional rocket engines, as they are a newer and more advanced technology. However, they also have a longer lifespan and require less fuel, which can result in cost savings in the long run.

3. Are there any additional costs associated with using ion thrusters?

Yes, in addition to the initial cost of purchasing an ion thruster, there are also maintenance and operational costs. These can include electricity, propellant, and regular servicing to ensure the thruster is functioning properly.

4. Can the cost of ion thrusters be reduced in the future?

As with any technology, it is possible that the cost of ion thrusters may decrease in the future as advancements are made and more companies enter the market. Additionally, as the use of ion thrusters becomes more widespread and the demand increases, economies of scale may also help to reduce costs.

5. Are there any ongoing research and development efforts to reduce the cost of ion thrusters?

Yes, there are ongoing research and development efforts to improve the efficiency and reduce the cost of ion thrusters. These include advancements in materials, design, and manufacturing processes. Additionally, government agencies and private companies are investing in research to make ion thrusters more affordable for future space missions.