1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ion Thrusters - How much do they cost?

1. Sep 16, 2012 #1
    Ion Thrusters which are used for space vessels, such as sending sattelites into space, how much do they cost?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Depends on the spacecraft and it's mission.
    Never heard of off-the-rack ion drives.
    iirc: costs can range from 10's of thousands to milions per unit.

What is your interest.

See :
    http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/space/bss/factsheets/xips/xips.html [Broken]
    http://www.aerojet.com/capabilities/spacecraft.php

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Sep 16, 2012 #3
    I have a reactor which produces 100KW and weights about 500Kg.
    The thrust I'm looking for here is being able to reach speeds of 1000Km/h.
    But the vessel however, will start its ion drive at about 100 miles above the earth's surface.
    So I'm looking for something bellow 100K USD.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Sep 16, 2012 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well then approach the manufacturers and tell them your requirements - what are you messing with us for??!

Note: the thruster will accelerate your craft for as long as it has power and fuel ... there is no theoretical top speed...

6. Sep 16, 2012 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Please do not post nonsense here on the PF.

7. Sep 16, 2012 #6
    I must ask. Since the minimum required thrust to escape earth is 9,81N/Kg, and I wanted to accelerate 10m/s^2, I would need a thrust of 19,81N/Kg. If my spaceship weights 300Kg, I would need a thrust of (10+9,81)*300= 5943 Newton. After 4 minutes and 38 seconds I would be traveling at 10'000km/h. So my question is, if you would be in empty space, the thrust required in order to reach the same velocity from 0km/h, would be equivalent to 10m/s^2 + 0m/s^2, because there is nothing dragging you down. Is this correct?

8. Sep 16, 2012 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You know we have a sci-fi forum - this thread would probably do better there.

Thrust accelerates you. Without a retarding force, any thrust will get you to any speed eventually. There is no theoretical top speed. You are limited by the reaction mass and energy you carry.

9. Sep 17, 2012 #8

K^2

Science Advisor

Ion thrusters capable of sending satellites into space do not exist. Thrust to weight ratio of modern ion thrusters is very low, making them impossible to use until you have at least established an orbit.

10. Sep 17, 2012 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Perhaps he means "sending satellites further into space"?

11. Sep 17, 2012 #10

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

If you aren't near a gravitational source then you only have to apply enough force to counteract your own inertia. Which is ANY amount of force. The more force you apply the faster you will accelerate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook