% Ionisation or % 'Ionization' for non-Australians

• Thread starter djsmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionization
In summary: Good on ya! I was still trying to figure out what y’all meant by “base”.The only bazes that I know of that are ionized when protonated are amine bazes. Ammonium/Amine. Other bazes like alkali and alkaline hydroxides, lithium alkyls, Grignards, alkali alkoxides, alkali amides, alkali silanoates are charged in their bazic form and neutral when protonated.Hmm must be that, the resource I was looking at was referring to amines but I wasn't sure if it was maybe a slip up or something. I'm
djsmith
TL;DR Summary
Is protonation in bases considered ionisation
Hi there,
I'm sure this is glaringly obvious for chem-buffs but just been coming across some Henderson-Hasselbach type questions in Basic scenarios where we're looking at basic solutions where calculating involves a [BH]/ as opposed to the regular [AH]/[A-].

I've come across wording in what I've read to make me think the [BH] form is considered ionised for bases hence the ratio eg 90:1 [BH]/ - 90%
I would assume in ordinary situations with [HA]/[A-] the % ionised would be the amount of A- (the ionic form) in solution and here 90:1 - 10%

Q: Is the resource I'm looking at wrong, is protonation in bases considered as ionisation or is my understanding of % ionisation wrong?

Thanks in advance,
David

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
All good guys - I just found what I was after, it seems that a base is indeed considered ionised when protonated, I guess it makes sense being that its natural state is having a higher pKa. Thanks

Good on ya! I was still trying to figure out what y’all meant by “base”.

The only bazes that I know of that are ionized when protonated are amine bazes. Ammonium/Amine.

Other bazes like alkali and alkaline hydroxides, lithium alkyls, Grignards, alkali alkoxides, alkali amides, alkali silanoates are charged in their bazic form and neutral when protonated.

Likes djsmith
Hmm must be that, the resource I was looking at was referring to amines but I wasn't sure if it was maybe a slip up or something. I'm going to chalk it up to be an exceptional circumstance and assume mostly we look at acid/base stuff with a HA/A lens rather than a BH/B.
Thanks, good to have someone shed some light, haven't come across any alkali silanoates but they sound interesting!

Thanks

djsmith said:
Summary:: Is protonation in bases considered ionisation

Hi there,
I'm sure this is glaringly obvious for chem-buffs but just been coming across some Henderson-Hasselbach type questions in Basic scenarios where we're looking at basic solutions where calculating involves a [BH]/ as opposed to the regular [AH]/[A-].

I've come across wording in what I've read to make me think the [BH] form is considered ionised for bases hence the ratio eg 90:1 [BH]/ - 90%
I would assume in ordinary situations with [HA]/[A-] the % ionised would be the amount of A- (the ionic form) in solution and here 90:1 - 10%

Q: Is the resource I'm looking at wrong, is protonation in bases considered as ionisation or is my understanding of % ionisation wrong?

Thanks in advance,
David
I would say that the language indicates a direction for the reaction so the self-ionization of water would be 2H2O —> H3O+ (hydronium) + OH- (hydroxide) not the other way around.

Likes djsmith

What is % Ionisation or % 'Ionization'?

Percent ionisation, also known as percent ionization, is a measure of the fraction of a substance that is ionized in a solution. It is expressed as a percentage and is often used to describe the strength of an acid or base.

How is % Ionisation or % 'Ionization' calculated?

The percent ionisation is calculated by dividing the concentration of the ionized form of the substance by the total concentration of the substance and then multiplying by 100. This calculation can be represented by the formula % Ionisation = (concentration of ionized form / total concentration) x 100.

What is the significance of % Ionisation or % 'Ionization'?

Percent ionisation is an important measure in chemistry as it allows us to understand the strength of acids and bases. A higher percent ionisation indicates a stronger acid or base, while a lower percent ionisation indicates a weaker acid or base.

What factors can affect % Ionisation or % 'Ionization'?

The percent ionisation of a substance can be affected by factors such as temperature, concentration, and the presence of other substances. For example, increasing the concentration of an acid can increase its percent ionisation, while adding a strong base can decrease its percent ionisation.

How is % Ionisation or % 'Ionization' used in practical applications?

Percent ionisation is used in various practical applications, such as in the production of pharmaceuticals, the purification of water, and the formulation of household cleaning products. It is also used in analytical chemistry to determine the concentration of acids and bases in a solution.