Ionization and electron acquisition help

In summary, the student is struggling to understand what their teacher is asking and how to set up the ionization equations. They understand ionization, but need help setting up the equations.
chuck35lopez
I have a couple questions on my homework that I am stuck on.
1. Write the equations that represent the first three ionizations of the aluminum atom. Be sure to include phases and charges.
2. Write the equations that represent the acquisition of the two electrons of the sulfur atom forming the sulfide (S 2-) ion. Be sure to include phases and charges.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help! I don't mesh well with my teacher!

Physics news on Phys.org
chuck35lopez said:
I have a couple questions on my homework that I am stuck on.
1. Write the equations that represent the first three ionizations of the aluminum atom. Be sure to include phases and charges.
2. Write the equations that represent the acquisition of the two electrons of the sulfur atom forming the sulfide (S 2-) ion. Be sure to include phases and charges.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help! I don't mesh well with my teacher!
What do you have so far? Where are you stuck?

I don't even know where to start with this! I have never had problems with a teacher until this one, and I just cannot understand what she explains at all.

chuck35lopez said:
I don't even know where to start with this! I have never had problems with a teacher until this one, and I just cannot understand what she explains at all.
Okay. Do you understand the process of ionization? If not, I would read up on ionization and ionization potential first.

Basically, you're taking an atom/ion and adding energy (ionization energy/potential) to remove an electron.

OK, I understand ionization, but I what I don't get is what my teacher is asking for, and how do I set up an equation?

chuck35lopez said:
OK, I understand ionization, but I what I don't get is what my teacher is asking for, and how do I set up an equation?
Your teacher is asking you to write the ionization formulae from [itex]\text{Al} \xrightarrow~\text{Al}^{+}[/itex], [itex]\text{Al}^{+} \xrightarrow~\text{Al}^{2+}[/itex], and [itex]\text{Al}^{2+} \xrightarrow~\text{Al}^{3+}[/itex]. Phase means physical state (solid/liquid/gas). Include energies (e.g. 2600 kJ/mol) in the equations, and ensure they're on the proper side of the formula.

Last edited:
Alright, I got it done. It wasn't easy, but its finished. LOL. Thank you very much for the help!

What is ionization?

Ionization is the process by which an atom or molecule gains or loses electrons, resulting in a charged particle called an ion. This can occur through various methods such as exposure to high energy radiation or collisions with other particles.

How does ionization affect electron acquisition?

Ionization can affect electron acquisition by creating charged particles that can interact with other atoms or molecules in order to gain or lose electrons. This can result in the formation of new compounds and molecules, or the release of energy.

What is the difference between positive and negative ions?

Positive ions have lost one or more electrons, giving them a net positive charge. Negative ions have gained one or more electrons, giving them a net negative charge. These charges can influence the behavior and interactions of the ions.

Can ionization be controlled?

Yes, ionization can be controlled through various methods such as adjusting the energy level of radiation, applying electric and magnetic fields, or using chemical reactions. These methods can be used to control the number and type of ions produced.

What is the significance of ionization in everyday life?

Ionization plays a crucial role in many aspects of everyday life, such as in the functioning of batteries, the production of electricity, and medical imaging techniques. It is also important in atmospheric processes, industrial processes, and in the formation of biomolecules in living organisms.