Iridium flares end with replacement satellites

In summary: I live near the airport and I have seen a few high magnitude flares from the airport. They are pretty impressive, bright and lasting about 10 seconds. You need to have your longitude and latitude entered accurately, the swath that the reflection hits is narrow and the brightness drops off sharply. They are a BL@@DY nuisance. . . look too much like meteors and screw up my nice meteor observations and photos.
Merlin3189
Homework Helper
Gold Member
For a long time I'd heard about Iridium flares, but not taken much trouble to see one. This week I took advantage of the uncommon spell of clear nights to pop out and look at a couple.
Not quite what I'd expected, so I went to look into them a little more. One of the things I discovered is that I nearly missed them. Soon they will be no more. (end of 2018.)

I'll leave others more expert than I to supply any more info, but suggest anyone who wants to see one, gets on to Heavens Above and takes advantage of their next anticyclone.

Likes Aufbauwerk 2045 and russ_watters
Physics news on Phys.org
IMG_0512.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 349
Likes davenn and jedishrfu
Merlin3189 said:
Not quite what I'd expected, so I went to look into them a little more. . .
I've seen a couple of high magnitude, and those were pretty impressive . Very bright and lasting about 10 seconds. You need to have your longitude and latitude entered accurately, the swath that the reflection hits is narrow and the brightness drops off sharply.

But a - 6 ~ - 8 mag in your area, on a clear night will be rare.

Merlin3189 said:

I couldn't be happier :smile::smile::biggrin:

They are a BL@@DY nuisance ... look too much like meteors and screw up my nice meteor observations and photos

Dave

Likes jedishrfu
davenn said:
I couldn't be happier :smile::smile::biggrin:
Is that the first time I've seen you smile?:rolleyes:

You should try living in a big city. There's not much to see in the sky dimmer than magnitude 1 this time of year. Good job I live near the airport.

Merlin3189 said:
Is that the first time I've seen you smile?:rolleyes:

haha you obviously don't follow me or know me well enough on PF …. go look at my posts in the lame and science jokes sections :smile:

Merlin3189 said:
You should try living in a big city.

I do, Sydney, Oz is over 5 million people and I am deep within the red zone ……

my sites.jpg

each of those 3 sites is around an hour's drive from home, they are not great, but I can do some imaging as long as it is in the 1/2 of the
sky in the opposite direction to the city centre
To really get out of the city sky glow, I need to travel up to 2 hrsDave

Attachments

• my sites.jpg
    my sites.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 348

1. What are Iridium flares and replacement satellites?

Iridium flares are bright flashes of light in the night sky caused by sunlight reflecting off the antennas of Iridium communication satellites. Replacement satellites are newer versions of these satellites that are launched to replace older ones that have reached the end of their lifespan.

2. How long do Iridium flares last?

Iridium flares typically last for a few seconds, depending on the position of the satellite and the angle of the sun. They can sometimes last up to 10 seconds.

3. Why do Iridium flares end with replacement satellites?

Iridium flares end with replacement satellites because the older satellites that were causing the flares have reached the end of their lifespan and are replaced with newer ones. The newer satellites may have different designs or angles that do not cause the same bright flashes in the night sky.

4. Can I predict when and where an Iridium flare will occur?

Yes, you can predict when and where an Iridium flare will occur by using online tools or mobile apps that track the movements of these satellites. These predictions are not always 100% accurate, but they can give you a general idea of when and where to look for an Iridium flare.

5. Are there any risks associated with Iridium flares or replacement satellites?

No, there are no known risks associated with Iridium flares or replacement satellites. These satellites are designed and launched with safety precautions in mind and do not pose a threat to human health or the environment.