1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Iron as a gas.

1. Feb 20, 2014 #1
    The way I understand plasma is that is almost a gas except some of the electrons of separated from the nuclei entirely making positively charged. Is there a temperature in which Iron is by definition a gas, and not a plasma?

Also, can something like a noble gas become a solid?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2014 #2
    Sure. Neon, for instance turns solid at about 24.5 K.

4. Feb 20, 2014 #3
    Would this have to be under pressure or could it be 24.5 kelvin in a vacuum and still be a solid?

Also nice job on the 700 posts :D

5. Feb 20, 2014 #4
    That's at standard pressure. Only helium does not turn solid at standard pressure. If memory serves, a minimum of 20 atmospheres is required (and extremely low temperatures) to produce solid helium

6. Feb 20, 2014 #5
    The critical pressure of helium is 2.24 atm., so the equilibrium vapor pressure at the solidification temperature is lower than this.

Chet

7. Feb 21, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is no clear border between gas and plasma - if you increase the temperature, you just increase the fraction of ionized atoms.
    The first ionization energy of iron is 8 eV and iron becomes a gas at ~3000K or ~1/4 eV, at this temperature the fraction of ionized atoms is low (but still existent).

Where is the relation between the critical pressure (=gas/liquid related) and the solid phase?

Here is a phase diagram of helium

8. Feb 21, 2014 #7
    Yikes. I've never seen a phase diagram like this before. I guess you learn something new every day. Thanks.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook