Is the intersteller medium a charged gas or a plasma?

In summary, plasmas are the fourth state of matter and are essentially charged gases with unique behaviors and structures. The minimum density for a charged gas to start behaving like a plasma is dependent on the temperature and context in which it is being considered. The interstellar medium is considered a plasma as long as it is ionized. However, the distinction between a gas and a plasma is primarily a matter of terminology and does not significantly affect the behavior of the particles.
membraineBound
Hello Physics Forums!
I've been educating myself on electrostatics, electronics, and electromagnetics and I have come to the topic of plasmas. I understand that plasmas are essentially charged gases - but their behavior is so disparate from regular gases that they are classified as the fourth state of matter. For instance, plasmas will form organized structures, unlike gases or liquids. Apparently plasma particles interact with one another quite differently than do gases. They will exert forces upon one another without coming into physical contact .. I guess my question boils down to - what is the minimum density in order for a charged gas to start behaving like a plasma? Is the interstellar medium always considered a plasma as long as it is ionized?
I'm a complete neophyte, but I would think that at very low densities there won't be a significant difference between gases and plasmas! If the particles are spaced apart far enough their electric fields won't affect one another that much, am I right? Any intelligent input is really appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
membraineBound, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Yes, plasmas are considered to be the "fourth state of matter". [(Edit)Yes, the interstellar medium is a plasma.]

When gaseous ions and electrons move freely and independently we call that a plasma. Of course charged particles do obey the attraction and repulsion laws, so, if the energy source that ionized the gas is removed the plasma will tend to neutralize itself.

Here are two websites that explain plasmas much better than I can:

http://www.plasmas.org/
http://www.plasmas.org/what-are-plasmas.htm

After you've read over these sites, and if you have some specific question(s) or doubt(s), then come right back here and ask them. Here at Physics Forums there are many members educated, experienced, and qualified in this area who are ready and willing to assist a true "searcher" like you.

Cheers, Bobbywhy

The definition of a (gasseous) plasma is any gas which contains ions. It therefore follows that any gas which contains ions behaves "like" a plasma (since it is a plasma). I don't understand your comment that gases and liquids don't form organized structures. You seem to be working from a definite definition of "organized structure" which I do not share. (I neither agree nor disagree with your assertion. Since I don't understand what you mean, I find it void of meaning.) Since you understand some electrostatics, you know that electric force is proportional to the reciprocal of the distance squared. When the temperature of the gas is high enough (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_theory) any force exerted between ions will be negligible. So, it is not only the concentration (pressure) of the gas, but its temperature as well. Your question can't really be answered. Why? Because it depends on the context whether a mixture of molecular hydrogen, atomic hydrogen, and various ions of both is considered a "gas" or a "plasma". (Thus, I've contradicted my original definition). It will depend on the context in which the gas is being considered. From a spectroscopic perspective if subtantially all the hydrogen is unionized, it will be called molecular hydrogen, otherwise it will be called hydrogen plasma or ionized hydrogen gas. Generally, my experience (as a chemist, not a physicist) is that unless the flow of the gas, or its electrical/magnetic properties are specifically being considered, ionized hydrogen is termed a gas rather than a plasma. This is about terminology; terminology depends on context and isn't really of much interest, once you understand the concepts. My point is: what difference does it make whether it is called ionized gas or a plasma?

abitslow, You wrote in post #3 above “The definition of a (gasseous) [sic] plasma is any gas which contains ions.”

This is not the correct definition of a gaseous plasma.

From Wikipedia: “A plasma contains charged particles: positive ions and negative electrons or ions.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_(physics )

Last edited by a moderator:

The interstellar medium (ISM) is a complex mixture of gas, dust, and plasma that exists between stars in a galaxy. It is highly dynamic and constantly changing due to various physical processes such as shock waves, radiation, and magnetic fields. The composition of the ISM varies depending on its location and the presence of nearby stars.

To answer your question, the ISM is a mixture of both charged gas and plasma. The ISM is primarily composed of neutral gas, such as hydrogen and helium, but it also contains a small fraction of ionized particles (plasma). The ionization of the ISM is primarily caused by high-energy radiation from stars, which can strip electrons from atoms and create ions.

The minimum density for a gas to start behaving like a plasma is typically considered to be around 10^12 particles per cubic meter. At this density, the interactions between particles become significant, and the gas starts to exhibit collective behavior. However, this can vary depending on the specific conditions and properties of the gas.

In the ISM, the ionization level can vary greatly, and it is not always considered a plasma. At lower densities, the ISM may behave more like a gas, while at higher densities, it may exhibit more plasma-like behavior. The ionization level of the ISM also varies depending on its location in the galaxy, with regions closer to stars having a higher ionization level.

In summary, the ISM is a mixture of both charged gas and plasma, and its behavior can vary depending on its density and ionization level. It is a complex and dynamic environment that plays a crucial role in the formation and evolution of galaxies.

1. What is the interstellar medium?

The interstellar medium (ISM) is the material that fills the space between stars in a galaxy. It is composed of gas, dust, and cosmic rays.

2. Is the interstellar medium a charged gas or a plasma?

The interstellar medium is mostly composed of neutral gas, but it also contains some charged particles. Therefore, it can be described as a mixture of both a gas and a plasma.

3. How is the interstellar medium ionized?

The interstellar medium can be ionized by various sources, such as ultraviolet radiation from hot stars, cosmic rays, and shock waves from supernovae explosions. These ionizing sources strip electrons from atoms, creating a plasma.

4. What are the properties of a plasma in the interstellar medium?

The properties of a plasma in the interstellar medium vary depending on its location and the strength of the ionizing sources. Generally, plasmas in the ISM have high temperatures and low densities, and they are influenced by magnetic fields.

5. How does the interstellar medium affect star formation?

The interstellar medium plays a crucial role in star formation. It provides the necessary materials for new stars to form, such as gas and dust. The turbulence and magnetic fields within the ISM also help regulate the collapse and fragmentation of molecular clouds, leading to the formation of new stars.