1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Irregular sculpture hanging from two thin vertical wires

1. Jul 23, 2009 #1
    i have been stuck on this question for two days, can anyone help!!

A museum of modern art is displaying an irregular 358 N sculpture by hanging it from two thin vertical wires, A and B, that are 1.25 m apart . The center of gravity of this piece of art is located 48.0 cm from its extreme right tip.

YF-11-40.jpg

Find the tension in the wire A.

Find the tension in the wire B.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Two days? Show us the FBDs you've drawn during this period of work....

4. Jul 23, 2009 #3
    I think it's like you have to say that since the object is in equilibrium, there are no external unbalanced forces or torques acting on the system. That means F=ma in the vertical direction (up is +ve) gives you Ta + Tb = << edited out by berkeman >> . Then, assigning counter-clockwise as +ve and using the center of gravity as the point about which to sum moments, you have Tau(net) = 0 = << edited out by berkeman >> . Now we have two equations and two unknowns. Not hard to solve from there. I think that's how you do it, but I'm still learning too, so I'm not sure. :shy: Just trying to help out as much I can. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2009
  5. Jul 23, 2009 #4

berkeman

Thanks for the help, Gyro. Please remember to only provide hints on homework/coursework questions. We need to have the OP do the bulk of the work.

6. Jul 23, 2009 #5
    I'm sorry about that. Won't happen again.

7. Jul 23, 2009 #6

berkeman

No worries. Even with the work deleted, you have still provided useful hints to the OP. Thanks.

8. Jun 29, 2011 #7
    Is this set up correct?

TA + TB - mg = 0 = Ttot (since the object is in equilibrium)

Im not wure where to go from here or if this is even right

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook