Irregular sculpture hanging from two thin vertical wires

In summary: First, you need to find the tension in each wire. You can do this by taking the net torque on the system and multiplying it by the distance between the wires. Then, you need to find the total torque on the system. You can do this by adding the torques on the system. Finally, you need to find the equilibrium point. The equilibrium point is the point at which the total torque on the system is zero.
guille1
i have been stuck on this question for two days, can anyone help!

A museum of modern art is displaying an irregular 358 N sculpture by hanging it from two thin vertical wires, A and B, that are 1.25 m apart . The center of gravity of this piece of art is located 48.0 cm from its extreme right tip.

YF-11-40.jpg

Find the tension in the wire A.

Find the tension in the wire B.

Physics news on Phys.org
Two days? Show us the FBDs you've drawn during this period of work...

I think it's like you have to say that since the object is in equilibrium, there are no external unbalanced forces or torques acting on the system. That means F=ma in the vertical direction (up is +ve) gives you Ta + Tb = << edited out by berkeman >> . Then, assigning counter-clockwise as +ve and using the center of gravity as the point about which to sum moments, you have Tau(net) = 0 = << edited out by berkeman >> . Now we have two equations and two unknowns. Not hard to solve from there. I think that's how you do it, but I'm still learning too, so I'm not sure. :shy: Just trying to help out as much I can. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gyro said:
I think it's like you have to say that since the object is in equilibrium, there are no external unbalanced forces or torques acting on the system. That means F=ma in the vertical direction (up is +ve) gives you Ta + Tb = << edited out by berkeman >> . Then, assigning counter-clockwise as +ve and using the center of gravity as the point about which to sum moments, you have Tau(net) = 0 = << edited out by berkeman >> . Now we have two equations and two unknowns. Not hard to solve from there. I think that's how you do it, but I'm still learning too, so I'm not sure. :shy: Just trying to help out as much I can. :smile:

Thanks for the help, Gyro. Please remember to only provide hints on homework/coursework questions. We need to have the OP do the bulk of the work.

I'm sorry about that. Won't happen again.

Gyro said:
I'm sorry about that. Won't happen again.

No worries. Even with the work deleted, you have still provided useful hints to the OP. Thanks.

Is this set up correct?

TA + TB - mg = 0 = Ttot (since the object is in equilibrium)

Im not wure where to go from here or if this is even right

1. What is an irregular sculpture hanging from two thin vertical wires?

An irregular sculpture hanging from two thin vertical wires is a type of hanging art installation that is suspended from two wires, typically attached to the ceiling or a wall. The sculpture itself is made up of various irregular shapes and forms, creating a unique and abstract piece.

2. How is an irregular sculpture hanging from two thin vertical wires created?

An irregular sculpture hanging from two thin vertical wires is typically created by an artist or sculptor. They use various materials such as wire, metal, or other objects to create the irregular shapes and forms. The wires are then attached to the sculpture and secured to a ceiling or wall for display.

3. What makes an irregular sculpture hanging from two thin vertical wires unique?

The irregular shapes and forms of the sculpture, as well as the use of hanging wires, make this type of installation unique. Each sculpture is one-of-a-kind and can be customized to fit a specific space or theme. The hanging nature of the sculpture also adds a dynamic element to the artwork, as it can move and sway with the surrounding environment.

4. How is an irregular sculpture hanging from two thin vertical wires displayed?

An irregular sculpture hanging from two thin vertical wires is typically displayed in a gallery or exhibition space. The wires are attached to the ceiling or wall using hooks or other hardware, and the sculpture is suspended from the wires. The height and placement of the installation can vary depending on the artist's intent and the space available.

5. What are some examples of irregular sculptures hanging from two thin vertical wires?

There are many examples of irregular sculptures hanging from two thin vertical wires, as this type of installation is popular among contemporary artists. Some famous examples include "The Umbrellas" by Christo and Jeanne-Claude, "The Floating Piers" by Christo and Jeanne-Claude, and "The Bean" by Anish Kapoor.