What is the angle between the wire and the vertical?

In summary: Yes, that seems correct. The tension in the string would be double the vertical component of tension since there is only one string holding the picture.
Peter G.
A stone weight 32 N is attached to a wire and hung from a rigid support. A string is then attached to the bob and is pulled sideways with a horizontal force P until the tension in the wire is 44N

a) What is the angle between the wire and the vertical?
b) Calculate the size of the force P
c) Repeat your calculations for the case when the tension is 140 N

a) cos (32/44) Angle = 43.34
b)44^2 - 32^2 = P ^2
P = 30.20 N

Same methods for c) 77.79 degrees and 136.29 N

Think those are correct?

For the next question, I had a lot of difficulty, so I dealt with the information I had but I don't know if what I did is right: A framed picture of weight 15 N is to be hung on the wall, using a piece of string. The ends of the string are tied to two points, 0.60m apart, on the same horizontal level, on the back of the picture. Draw a free body force diagram for the picture and find the tension in the string if: a) the string is 1.0 m long, b) the string is 0.66 m

So, since the string is tied on the same horizontal level, I think that the length of the string for the left and right sides will be the same, so, for a) 0.50 m and 0.50 m. With that and half of the 0.60 m, I formed a triangle, I managed to find the angle to the vertical. With the angle to the vertical and using the vertical component of tension, I assumed that it was 15/2 for each, thus, 7.5 m I got: T = 7.5/cos 36.86989765, which is = to: 9.38 N

I did the same for part B and got 18.0 N.

What I did is acceptable/correct?

Thanks in advance,
Peter G.

Physics news on Phys.org
a) cos (32/44) Angle = 43.34
I don't understand this and got a slightly different answer.
I agree with the P = 30.2, though. Curious; I needed the angle to find the 30.2.

They want the angle to the vertical: We have the vertical component of the tension, which is 32 N and the tension, 44 N. So I did cos of x = Adjacent Side / Hypothenuse, hence, 32/44 and got that angle.

Okay, so you have cos(A) = P/44.
I wrote that the sum of the horizontal forces is zero (F = ma = 0) and got the same thing:
P - 44*cos(A) = 0. This has two unknowns, so can't do anything with it yet.

For the vertical forces, we have 44*sin(A) - 32 = 0.
This one can be solved for sin(A) = 32/44
A = inverseSin(32/44)

Delphi, I think you are finding the angle to the horizontal, because if you add the angle I got to yours + 90 degrees we get 180 degrees. But one way or the other, I understood what you did. But I think, since we needed the angle to the vertical it was a bit easier because we already had two sides of the triangle: The tension (hypothenuse) and the vertical component of the tension, which is equal to the weight of the stone, so I did inverseCos (32/44)

Do you think you could help me with the next question?

Thanks,
Peter G

Oh, yes, I found the angle with horizontal. Sorry!

I agree with your answer for 2a.

No problem :-p

I used the same method for 2 B, so I assume it is right too, as long as I did not make any calculations mistake!

Thanks Delphi :smile:

Oh, just another thing. The question (2 a and b) asks for the tension in the string and it says that one string is used to hold the picture. So: The answer would be, for a 2 x (7.5 / cos 36.86989765) ?

Thanks,
Peter G

Related to What is the angle between the wire and the vertical?

1. What is the significance of the angle between the wire and the vertical?

The angle between the wire and the vertical is important because it determines the direction and magnitude of the force acting on the wire, which is crucial in analyzing the behavior of the wire in a given system.

2. How is the angle between the wire and the vertical measured?

The angle between the wire and the vertical can be measured using a protractor or other angle measuring tools. It is measured from the vertical (or perpendicular) line to the wire, with 0 degrees representing a wire that is perfectly vertical.

3. What factors can affect the angle between the wire and the vertical?

The angle between the wire and the vertical can be affected by the weight and tension of the wire, as well as external forces such as gravity and electromagnetic fields.

4. What is the relationship between the angle between the wire and the vertical and the wire's stability?

The stability of a wire is dependent on the angle between the wire and the vertical. A smaller angle (closer to 0 degrees) indicates a more stable wire, while a larger angle (closer to 90 degrees) indicates a less stable wire.

5. How does the angle between the wire and the vertical affect the wire's ability to withstand tension?

The angle between the wire and the vertical plays a crucial role in the wire's ability to withstand tension. A smaller angle (closer to 0 degrees) increases the wire's ability to withstand tension, while a larger angle (closer to 90 degrees) decreases its ability to withstand tension.