Potential difference across an inductor

In summary, the potential difference across an inductor is generated by the changing magnetic flux through its coils. However, this potential difference cannot be described using a potential function because the induced electric field is rotational in nature. This makes it difficult to solve circuits involving inductors, but further understanding can be gained by studying Feynman's lectures on AC circuits.
Bipolarity
I have some confusion about how emf across an inductor is generated:

The potential difference across an inductor is an induced emf produced by the changing magnetic flux through the coils of the inductor.

In general, electric potential is a scalar potential of the electric field. Hence the electric field is the gradient field of the electric potential, and is a conservative vector field (for stationary charges at least). Conservative vector fields are irrotational (having zero curl) and irrotational vector fields are conservative (on simply connected domains).

Now according to Resnick & Halliday, "electric potential has meaning only for electric fields that are produced by static charges; it has no meaning for electric fields that are produced by induction." This is because the electric field induced by a changing magnetic flux is rotational in nature, rather than emanating from a source of charge.

So if we can't define a potential function for the induced electric field, how can we define potential across an inductor that allows us to solve circuits etc. ?

Note my knowledge of E&M is rather rudimentary, but am willing to browse through more advanced texts to get a better understanding.

BiP

Physics news on Phys.org
check Feynman lectures on physics, part II chapter on AC circuits beginning from 22-1. I think it is what your are looking for. I think Feynman explains it better than I would.

What is potential difference across an inductor?

Potential difference across an inductor is the difference in electric potential between the two ends of the inductor. It is also known as voltage drop or voltage across the inductor.

What causes potential difference across an inductor?

Potential difference across an inductor is caused by the flow of current through the inductor. When a current flows through an inductor, it creates a magnetic field which stores energy. The changing magnetic field induces an opposing voltage, resulting in a potential difference across the inductor.

What is the unit of potential difference across an inductor?

The unit of potential difference is volts (V). This is the same unit used to measure voltage or potential difference in any electrical circuit.

How is potential difference across an inductor calculated?

The potential difference across an inductor is calculated using the formula V = L * di/dt, where V is the potential difference, L is the inductance of the inductor, and di/dt is the rate of change of current through the inductor.

What is the role of potential difference across an inductor in electrical circuits?

Potential difference across an inductor plays a crucial role in the functioning of electrical circuits. It helps to regulate the flow of current and store energy in the form of a magnetic field. Inductors are commonly used in circuits to control the voltage and frequency of alternating current and to filter out unwanted signals.