Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Potential difference across an inductor

1. Aug 21, 2013 #1
    I have some confusion about how emf across an inductor is generated:

The potential difference across an inductor is an induced emf produced by the changing magnetic flux through the coils of the inductor.

In general, electric potential is a scalar potential of the electric field. Hence the electric field is the gradient field of the electric potential, and is a conservative vector field (for stationary charges at least). Conservative vector fields are irrotational (having zero curl) and irrotational vector fields are conservative (on simply connected domains).

Now according to Resnick & Halliday, "electric potential has meaning only for electric fields that are produced by static charges; it has no meaning for electric fields that are produced by induction." This is because the electric field induced by a changing magnetic flux is rotational in nature, rather than emanating from a source of charge.

So if we can't define a potential function for the induced electric field, how can we define potential across an inductor that allows us to solve circuits etc. ?

Note my knowledge of E&M is rather rudimentary, but am willing to browse through more advanced texts to get a better understanding.

BiP

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2013 #2
    check Feynman lectures on physics, part II chapter on AC circuits beginning from 22-1. I think it is what your are looking for. I think Feynman explains it better than I would.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook