Bernoulli Equation for Rotational Flow

In summary, the conversation discussed a research problem involving fluid dynamics and a "bathtub flow" with a vortex. The equation for velocity potential was given, but the resulting velocity profile did not have vorticity. However, this does not mean that there is no circulation in the flow. The participants also discussed the use of Bernoulli's equation for this situation and clarified the concepts of vorticity, rotationality, and circulation. Ultimately, it was determined that Bernoulli's equation could be used for this model, even though there is a vortex present.
soothsayer
Hi PF! I've been working on a research problem involving fluid dynamics, and I'm currently looking at a "bathtub flow". This is where water is draining through a hole, and we have a vortex. In a paper I have found dealing with this flow, the velocity potential was written as:
[itex]\psi = Alnr + B\phi [/itex]

which gives a velocity profile of:

[itex]\vec{v} = \frac{A}{r} \hat{r} + \frac{B}{r} \hat{\phi}[/itex]

But this doesn't make a lot of sense to me, because this gives [itex] \vec{\bigtriangledown} \times \vec{v} = 0 [/itex], but the flow should naturally have a vorticity, which means the curl should not be zero.

Ultimately, I want to be able to simplify the Euler equation into something like the Bernoulli Equation, but I've never seen a Bernoulli Equation for rotational flow. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know for irrotational flow, [itex] \vec{\bigtriangledown} \times \vec{v} = 0 [/itex], we get:

[itex]\frac{\partial \psi}{\partial t} + \frac{1}{2}(\vec{\bigtriangledown} \psi )^2 + \frac{p}{\rho} + gz = f(t) [/itex]

Which I don't feel like I should be able to use for this situation...Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Considering your original equation was a velocity potential, the flow field would have to be irrotational to make any sense at all. This comes from the fact that
[tex]\nabla\times\vec{v} = \nabla\times\nabla\phi \equiv 0.[/tex]
Don't confuse the concepts of vorticity and rotationality, with that of circulation. They are related but different. There would certainly circulation in this case but not necessarily vorticity.

Given that this model is irrotational and therefore conservative and is also steady, you could absolutely use Bernoulli's equation.

Last edited:
To expand on what boneh3ad said, think about how the fluid parcels can move along a circular path without rotating about their own axes.

Ohh, I see. Thanks guys, I was kinda wondering whether I had misunderstood the definition of vorticity. I guess I kinda assumed since the fluid model had a vortex, there would necessarily be vorticity XD

I'll use Bernoulli's equation then. Thank you!

There would be vorticity right at the center of that vortex, but that is a singularity in your equation anyway so isn't valid.

1. What is the Bernoulli Equation for Rotational Flow?

The Bernoulli Equation for Rotational Flow is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that relates the velocity, pressure, and elevation of a fluid flow. It states that the sum of kinetic, potential, and pressure energies at any point in a fluid flow is constant.

2. What is the significance of the Bernoulli Equation for Rotational Flow?

The Bernoulli Equation for Rotational Flow is significant because it allows scientists and engineers to analyze and understand the behavior of fluids in motion. It is used in a wide range of applications, from designing aircraft wings to predicting weather patterns.

3. What is the formula for the Bernoulli Equation for Rotational Flow?

The formula for the Bernoulli Equation for Rotational Flow is: P1 + 1/2ρv1² + ρgh1 = P2 + 1/2ρv2² + ρgh2, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density, v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the elevation.

4. How is the Bernoulli Equation for Rotational Flow applied in real-life situations?

The Bernoulli Equation for Rotational Flow is applied in various real-life situations, such as designing airplanes, calculating water flow in pipes, and predicting weather patterns. It is also used in hydraulics, aerodynamics, and hydrodynamics.

5. What are the limitations of the Bernoulli Equation for Rotational Flow?

The Bernoulli Equation for Rotational Flow is based on certain assumptions, such as the fluid being incompressible, inviscid, and steady flow. In reality, fluids may not always behave according to these assumptions, which can lead to inaccuracies in the results obtained from the equation.