Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

IRS -- Pretend Scam?

1. Jun 26, 2017 #1

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi all,
    Just got a call from (240)-200-9704, this alleged Susan Davydov, heavy Indian accent, claiming to be from the IRS, and that they were about to file a case against me and have me arrested. They claimed they had sent me documentation , which I never received, on the case. I looked up , and seems like a scam. https://www.everycaller.com/phone-number/1-240-582-1617/ . What can I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2017 #2

Borg

Gold Member

Ignore it. The IRS would never call you to demand money. Personally, I don't answer numbers that I don't recognize.

4. Jun 26, 2017 #3
    The IRS never makes calls like this. They send letter to your house. Definitely a scam. Big problem right now. Everyone seems to get them. Report to the authorities.

5. Jun 26, 2017 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's not a pretend scam. It's a real scam.

6. Jun 26, 2017 #5

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

A very common scam. There isn't much of anything you can or should do - just ignore it...unless you feel like trying to report it:

https://www.irs.gov/uac/report-phishing

7. Jun 26, 2017 #6

Borg

Gold Member

8. Jun 26, 2017 #7
    I've gotten such calls more than once. Can nothing be done about it?

9. Jun 26, 2017 #8
    The only thing that could be done in principle is to get the number blocked by your phone service,
    but these callers frequently change the number they use, so that's not very effective,
    and even if the company is willing to investigate a complaint it would take a while for them to do so.
    I had a couple of calls this year (Indian or similar accents again), claiming to be from Microsoft who want to do a security fix for my PC .
    ... Yeah right, a corporation with 3 billion customers wants to do something specially for me.

10. Jun 26, 2017 #9

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thank you all. I am clearly ok-enough to post; even if you know it is a scam, the threats do shake you up. By pretend-scam I meant a scam by pretending to be someone else.

11. Jun 26, 2017 #10

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can contribute by calling the number and trashing the person who called you. I did, and I felt I left her shaking after I was done with my extremely abusive return call. I can almost feel her shaking after I was done. I hope that will make her think twice next time.I don't enjoy doing this, but I need to do something to fight back and that is the only thing I could think of.

12. Jun 26, 2017 #11

Borg

Gold Member

Keep in mind that with todays IP phones, it is very easy for scammers to put whatever number they want as the 'return' number. After all, how did an obvious call center in India call from a U.S. number?

13. Jun 26, 2017 #12
    I've gotten those calls also. In may case at least, they don't say they are from Microsoft, but rather they are calling about my Microsoft computer. Last time I told them I don't have a computer and hung up.

14. Jun 26, 2017 #13

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You may want to give them the runaround, pretend you have one for thirty minutes, change topics many times and then tell them you don't have an account with microsoft.

15. Jun 26, 2017 #14

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's why I did not write pretend-scam, so that pretend does not modify scam.

16. Jun 26, 2017 #15

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Including a friend of mine who just a short while ago retired from working at the IRS!

17. Jun 26, 2017 #16

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, but you see, they are trying to stay ahead of the game. They mentioned of the issue ahead of time and so there was no reason for my not having done anything about it . I replied I had not, and then they said something to the effect that they ( IRS) had indeed sent me many notifications, and that the USPS had been negligent and that they ( the alleged reps of the IRS ) would (something along the lines) file a suit against the USPS for negligence. This alone is absurd-enough to help one see through it, but it suggests they are staying ahead of the game.

18. Jun 26, 2017 #17

Mark44

Iin addition to several calls purporting to be about my federal tax liability, I've had two or three calls like the one rootone describes. They usually start off saying they are from Windows Security, and they have discovered that there is a virus on my computer. The last call I received, I said "no I don't." They immediately hung up.

My sister received a similar call that alleged that her (brand-new, just out of the box) Mac had a virus. She bit, and the remote person took over her computer. Luckily, she was able to get away before the caller was able to install some malware or ransomware on her computer.

Thread title: "IRS -- Pretend Scam?"
    A lot of people would read "pretend-scan" and "pretend scam" to mean the same thing.

19. Jun 26, 2017 #18

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agreed. They are most likely not as fastidious, "Monk-like" ( notice the dash next to 'Monk' ;) * ) as I am in this respect.

* Monk as in the TV show.

EDIT: My fastidiousness came about as a result of a distracted reading of the phrase " explosive sniffing dogs " lacking the dash. I have not yet seen a dog explode, sniffing or not.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  20. Jun 26, 2017 #19

Mark44

I have one that has exploded several times in the past. Fortunately, the appropriate antibiotic cured that behavior.

21. Jun 26, 2017 #20

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks, just threw the burrito I was eating to the trash ( will get two new ones in 10 minutes ;) )..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted