Is (0,0) a Point on the Graph of y=x^-1?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mentallic
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Homework Helper
Messages
3,802
Reaction score
95
If I'm asked to graph this function: [tex]y=\frac{1}{x^{-1}}[/tex]

Is x=0 undefined? Obviously by the rule of powers, this equation is the same as y=x, but I'm unsure if the point (0,0) exists in this equation or not.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That function is not defined at x=0. To simplify it to x, you rely on the fact that you can multiply by 1=x/x. But x/x isn't defined when x=0, so you can't use simplification to get around the undefinedness at 0.
 
Yes, if I converted the power to a fraction as so: [tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex] then I'd be relying on that rule, but what about if I used the rule of powers, i.e. [tex]\frac{1}{x^a}=x^{-a}[/tex] So simply, [tex]\frac{1}{x^{-1}}=x^{-(-1)}=x[/tex]

It just seems to me that only sometimes this is undefined, depending on how you treat the problem.

Sort of like [tex]\sqrt{x^2}=|x|[/tex] while [tex](\sqrt{x})^2=x[/tex] and defined for only [itex]x\geq 0[/itex]
 
That rule explicitly requires [tex]x\ne0[/tex].