cabellos Messages 76 Reaction score 1 Thread starter Nov 29, 2006 #1 I should know this, but i just wanted to check...differentiating ln(3y-2z) with respect to z...does this = -1/2z ?
I should know this, but i just wanted to check...differentiating ln(3y-2z) with respect to z...does this = -1/2z ?
KoGs Messages 106 Reaction score 0 Nov 29, 2006 #2 You must differentiate the whole thing first, then differentiate what is on the inside. To check your answer take the integral of -1/2z, you will see it is not equal ln(3y-2z)
You must differentiate the whole thing first, then differentiate what is on the inside. To check your answer take the integral of -1/2z, you will see it is not equal ln(3y-2z)
radou Homework Helper Messages 3,149 Reaction score 8 Nov 29, 2006 #3 As KoGs suggested, an appropriate use of the chain rule should do just fine.
radou Homework Helper Messages 3,149 Reaction score 8 Nov 29, 2006 #5 cabellos said: ok so is it -2/3y + z No, it is not. As mentioned before, try to apply the chain rule:http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ChainRule.html" Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
cabellos said: ok so is it -2/3y + z No, it is not. As mentioned before, try to apply the chain rule:http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ChainRule.html"
cabellos Messages 76 Reaction score 1 Nov 29, 2006 #6 I did apply it...this is how i calculated that result: d/dz In(3y-2z) y=In u therefore dy/du = 1/u u=3y-2z therefore du/dz = -2 dy/du x du/dz = -2/(3y-2z) where am i going wrong?
I did apply it...this is how i calculated that result: d/dz In(3y-2z) y=In u therefore dy/du = 1/u u=3y-2z therefore du/dz = -2 dy/du x du/dz = -2/(3y-2z) where am i going wrong?
radou Homework Helper Messages 3,149 Reaction score 8 Nov 29, 2006 #7 cabellos said: I did apply it...this is how i calculated that result: d/dz In(3y-2z) y=In u therefore dy/du = 1/u u=3y-2z therefore du/dz = -2 dy/du x du/dz = -2/(3y-2z) where am i going wrong? Now you're not going wrong, since the result is correct. Good work!
cabellos said: I did apply it...this is how i calculated that result: d/dz In(3y-2z) y=In u therefore dy/du = 1/u u=3y-2z therefore du/dz = -2 dy/du x du/dz = -2/(3y-2z) where am i going wrong? Now you're not going wrong, since the result is correct. Good work!