Is 80 Pa Really a 'Huge' Pressure in Desalination Plants?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter lioric
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Pressure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
lioric
Messages
335
Reaction score
26
I went to a desalination plant and the guy explaining reverse osmosis says that they force water through the membrane at a huge pressure of 80 pa

But I was wondering and that is less than 1atm. And it's like an 8kg placed on a 1 square meter space. I thing a 65kg human gives more pressure since the feet is smaller than 1 meter squared.
What am I missing here
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I know that. I'm asking this is 80 pa a lot of pressure? Cause that guy in the plant said so and I asked him if he's sure it's pa and he said " yes 80pa " and said it was a " huge" pressure.
 
The guy at the plant is incorrect. It takes pressure of the order of many hundreds of psi to force the water through a membrane depending on the salinity. 80 Pa is as you noted is pretty low. Think of the order of MPa.
 
gleem said:
The guy at the plant is incorrect. It takes pressure of the order of many hundreds of psi to force the water through a membrane depending on the salinity. 80 Pa is as you noted is pretty low. Think of the order of MPa.
Thank you
 
lioric said:
I know that. I'm asking this is 80 pa a lot of pressure? Cause that guy in the plant said so and I asked him if he's sure it's pa and he said " yes 80pa " and said it was a " huge" pressure.
As the link shows, the pressures used are in the range of 80 bar rather than 80 Pa.
So it may be than someone was confused about units.