Calculator suggestions (nSpire CAS?)

In summary, the person is considering buying a new calculator, either an nSpire CAS or a TI89. They are not interested in any HP or RPN calculators.
pointyhat
Hi all - couldn't find another suitable place to post this on the Internet...

My TI92 died last week after 15 years of use (OK I killed it with coffee), and I thought I'd just try and get by with Wolfram Alpha but it's just clunky and horrible. I'm currently using my spare TI86 which lacks a CAS but gains handy constants and just feels better for engineering purposes. I used my '92 for basic EE tasks (CAS due to laziness, matrices, complex numbers, diff/integ etc). I've written a few disposable programs on it, but nothing worth keeping past the problem being solved. This is not my day job, which is financial software (boring!).

Obviously, you can't get the '92 any longer so there's a few options on the table for me: Another '92 off ebay, new NSpire CAS, new TI89, new Voyage 200, make do with my spare TI86.

I'm tempted by an nSpire CAS but I have no experience with them and to be honest, anything I can find is pretty much aimed at high school math. Does anyone have any experience with one of these in an EE setting?

I'm not interested in anything HP or RPN - I find them horrible!

Computer science news on Phys.org
I just bought the nSpire CX CAS for my schooling since the screen on my old 83+ went bad. Since I'm fairly new to the calculator, I can't offer much assistance, but I can say it is certainly quite powerful, and it's easier to input mathematical expressions into it than it is with Wolfram Alpha (for now).

As for your EE classes, take a look at this page:
http://www.omnimaga.org/index.php?topic=13849.0

It's still in development, but it certainly seems to help bridge the gap between the 89 and the nSpire CAS. The nSpire seems a bit more future-proof to me (TI has been putting out very usable updates to the OS), so that's why I got it over the 89.

Just some food for thought. I think you'd do fine with any of your mentioned choices.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions - much appreciated. I didn't know about FormulaPro and it certainly looks rather useful. Committing a lot of that stuff to memory is rather tiresome.

I've just ordered a CX CAS and I figure if I don't like it, I'll just eBay it and buy a TI89.

1. What is the difference between a regular calculator and the nSpire CAS?

The nSpire CAS (Computer Algebra System) is a more advanced version of a traditional calculator. It can perform algebraic, numerical, and graphical calculations, making it useful for solving complex equations and functions. It also has a larger memory capacity and can handle more complex calculations than a regular calculator.

2. Is the nSpire CAS allowed on standardized tests?

It depends on the specific test and its guidelines. Some standardized tests, such as the SAT and ACT, allow the nSpire CAS to be used, while others, like the AP Calculus exam, do not. It is always best to check the guidelines of the specific test you will be taking.

3. Can the nSpire CAS be used for all levels of math?

Yes, the nSpire CAS can be used for all levels of math, from basic arithmetic to advanced calculus. It has a wide range of functions and capabilities that make it useful for solving a variety of mathematical problems.

4. Does the nSpire CAS have a learning curve?

Like any new tool, there may be a learning curve when first using the nSpire CAS. However, it has a user-friendly interface and many online resources and tutorials are available to help users become familiar with its functions and features.

5. How does the nSpire CAS compare to other graphing calculators?

The nSpire CAS is considered one of the most advanced graphing calculators on the market. It has more capabilities and functions than many other graphing calculators, making it a popular choice among mathematicians, engineers, and scientists.