Is a Master's Degree Necessary for Teaching at a Community College?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
Homework Helper
Messages
1,347
Reaction score
12
I have been thinking of teaching remedial math at a community college (I'm in the US). But I don't have even a master's degree in math. My education and work experience is kind of odd:
- bachelor's in math and music
- master of engineering science degree in computer science (this was an evening master's program, and I wouldn't equate this with a M.S. degree in computer science)
- 10 years teaching math & music at a private school
- have teaching certification in secondary school math

Since I don't have a master's degree in math, should I not even bother looking for teaching positions at the community college level? Has anyone heard of people teaching at a community college without having a master's in their subject matter?


69
 
Physics news on Phys.org
one of my teachers at the community college i went to had only a masters in english and he taught everything from religion to psychology. even a world history class if I'm not mistaken. so i think it's possible. there might be certain credit hour requirements for each subject though
 
You have to have a masters degree in something to teach at a community college, but it is extremely common for people to teach something outside their field. There is a huge shortage of people teaching at the community college level, and it's usually trivial to get an adjunct position. You just find the right person, ask for a job, and they'll give it to you.

Since a lot of remedial math involves teaching people in college things that they should have learned in high school, I personally think that your credentials are perfect.

The one thing that you do have to be aware of is that teaching at a community college is that the pay is low. Adjuncts do not get paid what I think of as a living wage, and it's more paid charity work than anything else. Permanent positions do get paid decent amounts, but those are much harder to come by.