Is a Second Bachelor's in Physics a Viable Option for Me?

In summary, the speaker is in their last year of undergrad and is considering pursuing a second bachelor's degree in physics. They have concerns about their GPA in their first bachelor's degree, but their bad grades in chemistry and biology classes should not hinder them in the future if they have a good GPA in physics. They are also considering studying in Italy at the University of Bologna due to family ties and low cost, and are wondering if this is a wise choice for studying physics. The speaker also mentions a D+ grade in a math course, but explains that it was due to personal circumstances. They mention that a second bachelor's degree in physics will likely take at least five semesters to complete and that European universities have a good reputation for their
eaglejohnbc
Right now I am in my last year of undergrad, and I have just taken Intro to Physics. It is amazing, and something I'd definitely like to pursue. I know a second bachelors is possible, but I have some concerns:

First, my gpa in my first bachelor will be around 3.0 due to some bad grades in Chem and Bio classes. They are seriously boring and not what I wanted. Will this bad GPA hinder me much in the future if my physics bachelors GPA turns out to be good?

Another thing is where I'll be studying. I'd like to do it in Italy (University of Bologna) because of family there, and the cost (less than 3000$ a year). Is this a wise choice to study Physics at a European University?

Lastly, I do have one terrible grade in a math course - D+ in Linear Algebra. It came when an immediate family member died, so school was the last thing on my mind.

Any opinions or advice are welcome!

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you've just taken intro to physics, know that a second bachelor's degree will probably be an additional five semesters (at least) of work, even though you don't have to take any generals. This is because the first two years of physics are sequence courses, and you can only take one at a time. Anyway, with that out of the way...

I don't know how the system works in Europe, but here a D+ probably wouldn't keep you out of a university at the undergrad level, especially if you've got a good reason. Your bio and chem GPA also isn't an issue. Many physics majors never even take biology or chemistry. As for European universities, as a general rule I've never heard anything bad about them. In fact, talking to my colleagues from other universities, it seems that a BSc in physics from a European school is the equivalent of an MS in physics from an American school, because their courses are more in-depth, and they don't require generals. That's why a European PhD only requires three years.

But anyway, that's all hearsay, so you might want to get a second opinion from a European.

EU system: 3 years (BSc) -> 2 years (MSc) -> 4 years (PhD). If you want to go for BSc then your GPA doesn't really matter. It's all about high school diploma. You can transfer grades but you can also take classes again and get better results.

1. What is a second bachelors in physics?

A second bachelors in physics is a degree program that allows students who have already completed a bachelor's degree in a different field to earn a second bachelor's degree in physics. This program is designed for students who have a strong interest in physics but did not major in it during their first undergraduate degree.

2. Is a second bachelors in physics worth it?

It depends on your career goals and personal interests. A second bachelors in physics can provide a strong foundation in the field and open up opportunities for graduate studies or careers in industries such as research, engineering, and technology. However, it may not be necessary for certain career paths and can be a significant time and financial commitment.

3. How long does it take to complete a second bachelors in physics?

The duration of a second bachelors in physics program can vary depending on the institution and whether you are attending full or part-time. On average, it can take 2-3 years to complete the program if you have already completed general education requirements.

4. Can I pursue a second bachelors in physics if I have a non-science background?

Yes, many universities offer second bachelors in physics programs for students with non-science backgrounds. However, you may need to complete some prerequisite courses in math and science before starting the program.

5. What are the career opportunities for someone with a second bachelors in physics?

A second bachelors in physics can lead to various career opportunities in industries such as research, engineering, technology, and education. Graduates may also pursue further studies in graduate programs in physics or related fields.