Is a "USB3 A Female" to "Micro B Male" OTG adapter w/ 5gbps data possible?

In summary: GHz claim is being made about the whole device or just the CABLES.In summary, the first device is a USB A 3.0 Female to Micro B Male OTG adapter, which is claimed to be able to transfer data at 5gbps speeds. However, the adapter has been found to be a sham, as it is impossible for a Micro B port to process more than 480mbps speeds.
shushi_boi
TL;DR Summary
Is it possible for a USB A 3.0 Female to Micro B Male OTG adapter to transfer data from the USB 3.0 source to the Micro B source at 5gbps speeds, and can the Micro B receive and process all of that data from it's Micro B port?
Is it possible for a USB A 3.0 Female to Micro B Male OTG adapter to transfer data from the USB 3.0 source to the Micro B source at 5gbps speeds, and can the Micro B receive and process all of that data from it's Micro B port?

Here's a link to the device, and a picture from it that claims this,

Link to Device

YuvjI31.jpg

Is this possible, or is this a sham?

*EDIT*

I found another similar adapter on Amazon if anyone was interested in examining that one as well,
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SPXHL97/?tag=pfamazon01-20
e8cNQCF.jpg

Attachments

• e8cNQCF.jpg
    e8cNQCF.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
shushi_boi said:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SPXHL97/?tag=pfamazon01-20
I only looked at this one. Nowhere does it claim 5Gb/s xfer rate.

Likes shushi_boi
phinds said:
I only looked at this one. Nowhere does it claim 5Gb/s xfer rate.

Thank you for your response to the second device, although I didn't see the amazon one mention this feature, I wasn't sure so I thought it would be worth mentioning as well since it is a USB A 3.0 female to a Micro B male adapter like the first device.

I'm starting to think that the first one is a sham, in the sense that it is impossible for a Micro B port to process more than 480mbps speeds, since the Micro B devices aren't meant to process higher speeds (which I think sort of defeats the purpose of the first device, and misleading since I don't think a Micro B device can make use of the 5gbps data being fed to it), well that's at least what I think (I'm not an expert in this topic, but that's my best educated guess).

What is your opinion on the first device? Am I correct in my assessment?

shushi_boi said:
What is your opinion on the first device? Am I correct in my assessment?
Sounds right to me, although I've only looked at the spec for the CABLES, which are limited as you say, and though that maybe a direct connection could do better. Still, seems unlikely since if a Micro B device could do better you'd expect the cables to be routinely at that high level.

Likes shushi_boi
shushi_boi said:
Is this possible, or is this a sham?
5 Gbps transfer rate! You think you will get such a device for $4? Moreover it is made in China. This definitely seems to be a sham.

Likes shushi_boi
USB3 has 9 pins which are required for 5GHz bandwidth, there is a USB 3 Micro B connector, and a USB 3 Micro B socket will (ISTR) accept a Normal 5-pin Micro B plug but the plug will definitely not fit a normal Micro B socket, and it does not look like the one in the picture.

Any hardware connected with the 5 pins shown in the normal Micro B plug in the picture is going to be limited to 480MHz USB2.

But in any case you should note that (i) the 5GHz claim is not made in text, only in a picture, so has no credibility, and (ii) even the picture contains a disclaimer which separates the 5GHz statement from the item,

Likes shushi_boi

1. Is a "USB3 A Female" to "Micro B Male" OTG adapter w/ 5gbps data possible?

Yes, it is possible for a "USB3 A Female" to "Micro B Male" OTG adapter to support 5gbps data transfer. USB 3.0, also known as SuperSpeed USB, is capable of transferring data at speeds up to 5gbps. As long as the adapter is designed to support USB 3.0, it can handle 5gbps data transfer.

2. What is the difference between USB3 and USB2?

The main difference between USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 is the data transfer speed. USB 3.0 is capable of transferring data at speeds up to 5gbps, while USB 2.0 has a maximum speed of 480mbps. USB 3.0 also has increased power efficiency and the ability to transfer data in both directions simultaneously.

3. Can I use a USB3 A Female to Micro B Male OTG adapter with my phone or tablet?

That depends on your device's compatibility with OTG (On-The-Go) adapters. Some devices, such as newer Android phones and tablets, have OTG support built-in and can use the adapter to connect to USB devices. However, other devices may not have OTG support and will not be able to use the adapter.

4. Are there any limitations to using a USB3 A Female to Micro B Male OTG adapter?

The main limitation of using an OTG adapter is that it may only work with devices that have OTG support. Additionally, the adapter itself may have compatibility issues with certain devices. It's always best to check with the manufacturer or do some research before purchasing an adapter to ensure compatibility.

5. Can I use a USB3 A Female to Micro B Male OTG adapter for charging my device?

No, an OTG adapter is not designed for charging devices. Its main purpose is to allow devices to connect to other USB devices, such as flash drives or keyboards. If you are looking for a charging adapter, it is best to use one specifically designed for that purpose.