Is anyone here familiar with TextPad?

• Thread starter pmb_phy
  • Start date
Is anyone here familiar with TextPad? I'm trying to use it as an interface for editing and running Java but I'm having problems. I don't know how to set it up to work with the Java environment.

Thanks

Pete

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I use TextPad as a text (ASCII, txt, html) editor, except for Word documents.

Try going into Configure - Preference - and find Document Classes. One of the default classes is Java.

You might also have to set up Associated Files and File Name Filters.

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have no idea what kind of problem you're experiencing. There's really no such thing as a "Java environment." TextPad is a text editor. You can configure some macros to run command-line programs to compile and run your code, but, apart from that, there is no Java environment. Perhaps you could be a little more specific with your question?

- Warren

Astronuc said:
I use TextPad as a text (ASCII, txt, html) editor, except for Word documents.

Try going into Configure - Preference - and find Document Classes. One of the default classes is Java.

You might also have to set up Associated Files and File Name Filters.
I use TextPad as an editor too. I used it a few years ago when I was learning C++ and it was a great tool. But now I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. E.g. I wrote this piece of code

// Fig. 2.1: Welcome1.java.
// A first program in Java.

public class Welcome1 {

// main method begins execution of Java application
public static void main( String args[] )
{

System.out.println( "Welcome to Java Programming!" );

} // end main method

} // end class Welcome1
Then I selected "Tools->Compile Java" and it took a few seconds and then in another window that popped up behind the code window and read

"Tool completed successfully"

Then I selected "Tools->Compile Java Application" and a DOS window popped up and said
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Welcome1
Press any key to continue . . .
Seems to me that there are some pathways that the computer can't find/doesn't know about. What do I do at this point? I'm not even sure that its compiling. :frown:

Pete

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I am not versed in Java, so hopefully chroot can help. I don't know if the syntax of your code is correct or not, but I would wonder if Textpad is using the correct compilation or not, or if it is inserting stuff (equivalent of hidden or control codes?) that is unwanted.

But I am familiar with some TextPad's idiosyncracies. One has to be sure a class of documents is defined and is used when saving a particular class. I am not sure if that is what is happening here. Maybe you found a new one.

chroot
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I'd suggest looking at what the "Compile Java" and "Run Java" macros actually do, and edit them if necessary.

- Warren