Is Author Wrong? Solving a Homework Equation

• Thread starter foo9008
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary: L+b_n\sin nπx\}$$And in 155002 , the author gives$$f(x)={a_0\over 2}+\sum_{n=1}^\infty \{a_n\cos (nπx)+b_n\sin (nπx)}\}$$So, in summary, the author is wrong.
foo9008

Homework Statement

is the author wrong ? i was told that the f(x) = 0.5(a_0) +Σ(a_n)cos (nπx / L ) ... but , in the example(photo2) , the author ignore the L , which the author gave f(x) = 0.5(a_0) +Σ(a_n)cos (nπx ) +...

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

P/ s : i have tried to make some correction beside the working , is it correct ?[/B]

Attachments

• 150.jpg
    150.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 373
  • 153.jpg
    153.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 390
  • 1540002.jpg
    1540002.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 344
  • 1550002.jpg
    1550002.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't know what photo 2 is, but in 154002 the author carefully uses L = 2.
And in 1550002 L is ##\pi##

BvU said:
Don't know what photo 2 is, but in 154002 the author carefully uses L = 2.
And in 1550002 L is ##\pi##
So, the author is wrong, right? In155002, the L should be 2, right??

If 150 says ##n\pi\x\over L## and 154 says ##n\pi\over 2##, doesn't that mean the author did take L = 2 ?

As for 155, I'm not so sure: does the definition in your book agree with

The http://www.math24.net/definition-of-fourier-series.html of the function f(x) is given by
$$f(x)={a_0\over 2}+\sum_{n=1}^\infty \{a_n\cos nx+b_n\sin nx\}$$
where the Fourier coefficients ##a_0##, ##a_n##, and ##b_n## are defined by the integrals$$
a_0={1\over \pi} \int _{−\pi}^\pi f(x)\, dx,\quad a_n={1\over \pi} \int _{−\pi}^\pi f(x)\cos nx\,dx,\quad b_n{1\over \pi} \int _{−\pi}^\pi f(x)\sin nx\,dx$$

BvU said:
If 150 says ##n\pi\x\over L## and 154 says ##n\pi\over 2##, doesn't that mean the author did take L = 2 ?

As for 155, I'm not so sure: does the definition in your book agree with

The http://www.math24.net/definition-of-fourier-series.html of the function f(x) is given by
$$f(x)={a_0\over 2}+\sum_{n=1}^\infty \{a_n\cos nx+b_n\sin nx\}$$
where the Fourier coefficients ##a_0##, ##a_n##, and ##b_n## are defined by the integrals$$
a_0={1\over \pi} \int _{−\pi}^\pi f(x)\, dx,\quad a_n={1\over \pi} \int _{−\pi}^\pi f(x)\cos nx\,dx,\quad b_n{1\over \pi} \int _{−\pi}^\pi f(x)\sin nx\,dx$$
no , as you can see it 150 , the author gave $$f(x)={a_0\over 2}+\sum_{n=1}^\infty \{a_n\cos nπx / L+b_n\sin nπx\/L}$$

Attachments

• 150.jpg
    150.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 354

1. Is it possible for an author to be wrong when solving a homework equation?

Yes, it is possible for an author to be wrong when solving a homework equation. Everyone makes mistakes, even scientists and experts in their field. It is important to double-check work and seek help if needed.

2. How can I tell if an author's solution to a homework equation is incorrect?

One way to tell if an author's solution is incorrect is to solve the equation yourself and compare the results. You can also consult with a teacher or fellow classmates to get a second opinion.

3. What should I do if I think an author's solution to a homework equation is wrong?

If you think an author's solution to a homework equation is wrong, you should first try to find the error and correct it. If you are unable to do so, you can seek help from a teacher or tutor. It is important to understand the correct solution and not just copy someone else's work.

4. Can multiple authors have different solutions to the same homework equation?

Yes, it is possible for multiple authors to have different solutions to the same homework equation. There may be more than one way to solve a problem, and different authors may have different approaches or make different assumptions.

5. Is it important to check an author's work when using their solution to a homework equation?

Yes, it is important to check an author's work when using their solution to a homework equation. It is always a good practice to double-check work, especially in a learning setting. This can help you better understand the material and catch any mistakes that may have been made.