Is cleaning my coffee carafe necessary for better tasting coffee?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Integral
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    clean

Do you clean your coffee pot?


  • Total voters
    30
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
36 replies · 7K views
We clean our equipment every Sunday, mainly for the reasons Evo mentioned. Coffee starts to taste a bit funky after a few weeks of buildup.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
xxChrisxx said:
EDIT: Also to the poster above, instant coffee tastes ****. So no point in making it in the first place. Then you can save your 47p by not buying Tesco rubbish.
There are nice instant coffees Nescafe Gold Blend and Blend37 - but instant has such a bad rep outside the UK you can't buy them anywhere else.
They are better than 'supermarket brand' ground coffee in the USA and a lot more convenient.
 
NobodySpecial said:
There are nice instant coffees Nescafe Gold Blend and Blend37 - but instant has such a bad rep outside the UK you can't buy them anywhere else.
They are better than 'supermarket brand' ground coffee in the USA and a lot more convenient.

Or just have the best of both worlds... Augment your brewed coffee with instant. But still clean the pot. The idea of gray fuzzy mold...
 
easiest way I've found to clean coffee patina off glass is automatic dishwasher powder (which i think is mostly trisodium phosphate and a bit of chlorine bleach) and hot water. shake/swirl/sit/rinse. easy-peasy.

for calcium deposits on the water heating element of the coffee maker, i pour hot vinegar into the back of the thing where the water goes and turn it on. you get rewarded with a pot full of vinegar, calcium acetate, and calcium sand.
 
NobodySpecial said:
There are nice instant coffees

this statement is false
 
Proton Soup said:
this statement is false
I've actually had a few instants that weren't bad. They were in foil pouches, maybe that helped.
 
Yesterday I decided to take the next step. I added ~250ml of white vinegar to the water and ran in thorough the coffee maker. Today I actually think I tasted an improvement in our coffee. I am still not convinced that cleaning the patina out of our carafe made any difference but just maybe there were some mineral deposits in the heater mechanism which were adding something to the water.