Is Data Structures course old school?

In summary: Even Obama knows about it.In summary, these data structures and algorithms are extremely important for any programmer, regardless of their language of choice. The course is a good idea, and can help you learn more about the hows and whys of these structures.
SpaceDomain
Hello. I am an EE student with two semester left. I can optionally take a course on Data Structures from the CS department this next semester but am unsure if the material is old school or is still relevant today.

The course covers the following topics with programming assignments in C:

Stacks
Queues
Linked Lists
Trees
Heap
Graphs
Sorting & Searching

The following textbook is used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0534390803/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Is this stuff old school or useful material to cover?

Physics news on Phys.org
I use all these data structures in my programs, but I am old school as well.

Seriously, these are basic things that were used and will be used always.

Those algorithms and data structures are extremely important in programming. If you're going to do programming later, then you'll have to self-study them anyway. So a course isn't a bad idea.

Maybe you'll even get into algorithmic complexity, which will learn you how to program something fast.

Even Obama knows about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4RRi_ntQc8

This is fundamental to any "serious" computer programming or software design.

You could argue that the teaching method is a bit "old school", because for real-world programming you would use the implementations in the standard libraries for languages like C++ or Java - and to do that effectively, you need more than a superficial knowledge of the C++ or Java language. In other words, knowing how to use them (and how to select the "best" one to use) is arguably more important than knowing how to implement them from scratch.

But that isn't an option if you are using C rather than C++.

SpaceDomain said:
Is this stuff old school or useful material to cover?

Extremely, extremely important.

In day to day programming you won't usually be asked to rewrite a hash map since you can pull one out of your toolbox, but you'll need to know exactly how one works so that you know when to use and not to use one from your toolbox.

Okay. I am sold on taking the course.

I do embedded software for a living and if you aren't already familiar with the concepts then it is an incredibly important course.

As mentioned, higher level languages have libraries to provide the functionality but it is necessary to understand the hows and whys of the structure in order to both choose the best one for a problem as well as for debugging. If you work closer to the hardware (C and ASM) you will likely have to implement these for yourself.

Also, most interviews for software positions will include questions about data structures and algorithms.

1. Is data structures still relevant in today's technology?

Yes, data structures are still very relevant in today's technology. They are the fundamental building blocks for organizing and managing data efficiently, which is crucial in the age of big data and complex algorithms.

2. Is the data structures course outdated compared to newer courses?

No, the core concepts and principles of data structures have remained the same over the years. While there may be newer tools and technologies available, understanding data structures is essential for any computer science or data-related field.

3. How will learning data structures benefit me in my career?

Understanding data structures will benefit you in various ways, such as improving your problem-solving skills, algorithmic thinking, and ability to optimize code. These skills are highly sought after in many industries, including software engineering, data analysis, and machine learning.

4. Are there any prerequisites for taking a data structures course?

Generally, a basic understanding of programming concepts and some experience in a programming language would be helpful for taking a data structures course. However, different courses may have different prerequisites, so it's best to check with the course provider for specific requirements.

5. How can I apply what I learn in a data structures course in real-world scenarios?

Data structures are used in many real-world applications, such as databases, operating systems, and artificial intelligence. By learning data structures, you will have a better understanding of how these systems work and be able to design efficient solutions for various problems.