Is Devoting My Soul to Science Worth It?

• Physics
  • Thread starter MagnusChases
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, Magnus believes that if he pursues a career in science, he will not be as successful as someone in another profession and that he values more in life than money or fame. He also believes that following a passion is important, and that if he could choose between two careers, he would be happy as a farmer or fisherman. Merry Christmas!
MagnusChases
I am concerned about devoting my soul into science(Physics, Math, and Chemistry particularly). I imagine the supposed efforts that I will put in my future works will not be seen by humanity as the way I would like(as an example in history, many scientists who dedicated their lives ended not having what they deserved). By going into science, I will not make as much money as another nonsense profession.

For you, is it worth? Fighting demons, sacrificing your soul to push the boundaries of human's knowledge and not being valuable by humans is worth it?
But it not all about money nor is all following a passion. Because this I ask for your help, thanksRegards,Magnus.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you want to go into science for fame, possibly fortune and maybe even drama. So, no, I don't think this is the right choice for you.

Likes trurle, TMFKAN64, Dale and 2 others
I once knew somebody who said: "Even if Michelangelo had been born without arms, he would have still become a great sculptor!"

So if you have to ask, then you're probably not of this kind. It is totally natural to dream of such goals, but very naive to expect them.

Likes MagnusChases
MagnusChases said:
Fighting demons, sacrificing your soul
Umm, that doesn’t sound like science to me. It sounds like a start of a low-quality movie plot

Likes Klystron, phinds and Bystander
MagnusChases said:
I am concerned about devoting my soul into science(Physics, Math, and Chemistry particularly). I imagine the supposed efforts that I will put in my future works will not be seen by humanity as the way I would like(as an example in history, many scientists who dedicated their lives ended not having what they deserved). By going into science, I will not make as much money as another nonsense profession.

For you, is it worth? Fighting demons, sacrificing your soul to push the boundaries of human's knowledge and not being valuable by humans is worth it?
But it not all about money nor is all following a passion. Because this I ask for your help, thanksRegards,Magnus.

What kind of problems in science would you enjoy working to solve? That's the most important question to have answers to. If your goal is to be revered because scientists command respect in our modern intellectual bubble and you can't answer that question, you should direct your energy somewhere else. Scientists just want to find answers to interesting questions that nobody has figured out yet. They can't escape their curiosity. While good stories tend to involve a human sacrifice or two, this one isn't really it. The sacrifice in this case would be pursuing an unrelated field and not finding answers to questions you can't stop asking. Merry xmas!

Likes symbolipoint and MagnusChases
I like Physics. I've made a good living at it and had lots of good times.

But the greater meaning in life for me is in other things - my Christian faith, my wife, my children, my church, and my friends.

I probably could have been just as happy being a farmer or a fisherman if I had to. I mean, for most of human history Physics did not really exist.

Likes gleem, Dale and MagnusChases
Likes gleem, MagnusChases and fresh_42

Related to Is Devoting My Soul to Science Worth It?

1. What is the significance of "In the end of a life's work"?

"In the end of a life's work" refers to the final stage of a person's career or professional life, where they have completed or accomplished their major goals and are nearing the end of their working years.

2. How do scientists determine when someone has reached the end of their life's work?

This is a subjective determination, as each person's goals and achievements may vary. However, some common indicators may include retirement, completion of major projects or contributions to their field, and recognition or awards for their work.

3. Is it common for people to feel a sense of accomplishment at the end of their life's work?

Yes, it is common for people to feel a sense of fulfillment and satisfaction at the end of their life's work, especially if they have achieved their goals and made significant contributions in their field.

4. Can a person's life's work continue to have an impact after they have passed away?

Absolutely. Many people leave lasting legacies through their work, ideas, and contributions to society, even after they have passed away. Their impact can continue to inspire and influence future generations.

5. How can someone ensure that their life's work is meaningful and impactful?

This is a personal and individual journey, but some tips may include setting clear goals and priorities, continuously learning and growing, collaborating and sharing ideas with others, and staying true to one's values and passions. Ultimately, the impact of one's life's work will depend on the perspectives and perceptions of those who are impacted by it.