Does a more energetic particle have to be larger in size?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Pjpic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energy Space
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 9K views
256bits said:
If unconstrained, the volume expands. If constrained, the increase in energy will display itself as a pressure.
Can you apply this claim to a volume of water at 1 degree Celsius?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
nasu said:
But is that space really "taken"?
...
.
Thanks for the reply.
See the previous post to Drakith about who and what has the energy in an excited atom.

( I wrote that ages ago and forgot :cry: to PUSH the send button )
 
jbriggs444 said:
Can you apply this claim to a volume of water at 1 degree Celsius?
Perhaps I put my qualifier "For a range of temperature " , in a place where it does not cover the basic theme I was trying to present, which was for when a material undergoes a positive thermal expansion ( with increase in temperature ).

I think this has already been mentioned in post 25 nasu.
Extracting thermal energy from water until it freezes makes it to "take more space". So this energy will take some negative space? :)
As for every general rule, there is an exception.

For the record, even though most materials expand upon heating, there are other exceptions besides H20 which display negative thermal expansion, with liquid water having its greatest density at around 4, and ice at --200 C. The Wiki offers some others such as
Perhaps one of the most studied materials to exhibit negative thermal expansion is https://www.physicsforums.com/wiki/Cubic_Zirconium_Tungstate (ZrW2O8). This compound contracts continuously over a temperature range of 0.3 to 1050 K
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't have any answers for you. I agree with the the idea that energy is an abstract quantity that cannot take up space.