Energy of an electromagnetic wave

In summary: It's sometimes good to think about the correct words for what one wants to say. It's not a shame to think twice about what one writes before one hits the "submit" button. I think it's a good exercise for clear thinking in general. I don't know where the OP got the claim that "the energy of an electromagnetic wave does not depend on the frequency of the wave, only on the amplitude." It's certainly not correct in general. In a classical electromagnetic wave you can vary both frequency and amplitude and the energy density depends on both, which is measured in J/m$^3$. Then the total energy content of a given wave is of course depending on the volume it fills.
PreposterousUniverse
The energy of an electromagnetic wave does not depend on the frequency of the wave, only on the amplitude. Then why is light with higher frequency more energetic than light with lower frequency?

Physics news on Phys.org
cite ?

Likes russ_watters
PreposterousUniverse said:
Then why is light with higher frequency more energetic than light with lower frequency?
I think you are confusing this with photons vs. electromagnetic waves.

Likes Delta2 and vanhees71
Then why is light with higher frequency more energetic than light with lower frequency?
It isn't. A single photon has an energy that depends on frequency, yes. But by the time you've got enough photons that you can talk about light as a classical electromagnetic wave you have two variables: frequency and number of photons. You can vary the energy being carried at a given frequency by varying the number of photons. That's why classical electromagnetism has no defined relationship between energy carried and frequency.

Likes Delta2 and malawi_glenn
A classical electromagnetic wave is not a photon state but a coherent state. It has not even a well-defined "photon number". Forget about photons at this stage and first study thoroughly classical electrodynamics. The energy density of the electromagnetic field in the vacuum is (in SI units)
$$u=\frac{\epsilon_0}{2} \vec{E}^2 + \frac{1}{2 \mu_0} \vec{B}^2.$$
The total energy is given by the integral over all space.

Then why are infrared light, visible light and microwaves less energetic than gamma rays, X-rays, and ultraviolet light?

Then why are infrared light, visible light and microwaves less energetic than gamma rays, X-rays, and ultraviolet light?
They aren't if you are talking about electromagnetic waves. Photons of higher frequency do have higher energy, but that's not the same thing as "all gamma radiation carries more energy than all X ray radiation", which would be wrong.

Likes vanhees71
Uranium atoms are heavier than iron atoms. That does not mean that it's impossible to make a chunk of iron heavier than a chunk of uranium. The number of atoms matters as well as their individual masses!

There are complexities with photons that aren't present in this analogy, to which @vanhees71 alludes. But the basic problem is that you are taking statements that are true about individual photons and assuming that they apply to arbitrary EM waves that are not single photons.

Likes malawi_glenn and vanhees71
In free space, the energy density of an EM wave moving in the z direction has a time dependent amplitude that can be given by

1659548930557.png

If you average over one period Save becomes

1659548945616.png

This is independent of frequency but allows the energy of the wave to contain or be composed of a number of individual quanta whose energy does depend on the frequency ( hf)

1659548959147.png

Sigh. Why is everybody so obsessed in using a kind of pseudo-photons in classical electrodynamics? A classical electromagnetic wave is, seen from the QED perspective, a coherent state of the electromagnetic (quantum) field. For not too low intensities the quantum fluctuations can be neglected and you can work with classical electrodynamics.

Likes weirdoguy, malawi_glenn and Lord Jestocost
@vanhees71 Sigh. Sorry about that, I figured I might get a negative reaction. However, the OP suggested that he/she might not be able to look at a classical EM wave from a QED perspective.

Are they? My microwave oven is 800 W. My gamma ray emitting samples in the physics lab does not come close to that (would be kinda disasterous if they did)

Radiowave transmitters also have some substantial power

Likes Vanadium 50, Nugatory, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Comparing energy and power?

gleem said:
Comparing energy and power?
How do you measure energy in a wave? How can I have just one single radio wave?

If OP @PreposterousUniverse could mention the sources for his claims, I think we can help him/her better

Last edited:
Likes vanhees71
I am really confused. Two years ago, the OP ws discussing gauge transformation. Now he seems to be mixing together classical EM, classical waves, photons, wavelength, frequency, energy and power. What is going on?

Likes vanhees71
Some retardation effect? ;-) SCNR.

Likes gleem

1. What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that is produced by the movement of electrically charged particles. It consists of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that travel through space at the speed of light.

2. How is the energy of an electromagnetic wave measured?

The energy of an electromagnetic wave is measured by its frequency and wavelength. The higher the frequency and shorter the wavelength, the more energy the wave carries.

3. What is the relationship between the energy of an electromagnetic wave and its frequency?

The energy of an electromagnetic wave is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the frequency increases, the energy of the wave also increases.

4. How does the energy of an electromagnetic wave affect its behavior?

The energy of an electromagnetic wave determines its behavior and properties. Higher energy waves, such as gamma rays and x-rays, have shorter wavelengths and are more likely to penetrate through materials, while lower energy waves, such as radio waves, have longer wavelengths and are more easily absorbed by objects.

5. How is the energy of an electromagnetic wave used in everyday life?

The energy of electromagnetic waves is used in a variety of ways in our daily lives. Some common applications include radio and television broadcasting, cell phones, microwave ovens, and medical imaging technologies such as X-rays and MRI scans.