Is Every Example Listed an Illustration of Newton's First Law?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
shahmeer
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement

Which situations below are examples of Newton's First Law?

a) Your herd jerking back when car accelerates rapidly.
b) Hitting shoe on wall to knock off snow.
c) An apple hanging motionless on a tree.
d) All of the above


I know Newton's first law states that objects in motion stay in motion and objects at rest tend to stay at rest; the law essentially describes inertia.

The only situation I am absolutely sure about is a but according to the answer key the answer is d. I guess b could work, the shoe stops but snow keeps moving but I am not sure.

Any clarification would help me greatly. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, "d" would be the correct response. Your head tends to want to continue in its current state of motion, so you percieve it being jerked back when the car accelerates. Your right about the shoe with the snow. And the apple hanging in the tree has essentially no "push or pull" or outside influences on it so wit will maintain its state of motion (in this case staying still).

That clear things up?
 
I know Newton's first law states that objects in motion stay in motion and objects at rest tend to stay at rest unless acted on by a net unbalanced force[/color].
Note the comment above in red[/color].