Is Every Ideal Being Prime Indicative of a Commutative Ring Being a Field?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fireisland27
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Prime Ring Theory
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
fireisland27
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Given a commutative ring with unity, show that if every ideal is prime than the ring is a field.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I think that I can show that a ring is a field iff it has no nontrivial ideals. So I guess I need to show that if a ring has only prime ideals than these ideals must be trivial. I'm not sure how to do this though.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show that the ring must be an integral domain? (Hint: Consider the ideal that consists just of the zero element.) Next show that every non-zero element is a unit to complete the proof. (Hint: Let r be a non-zero element. Consider the ideal generated by [itex]r^2[/itex].)

Petek