1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that a set is an ideal

1. May 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the collection of all nilpotent elements of a commutative ring ##R## is an ideal.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Showing that something is an ideal is somewhat straightforward, but I am a little confused as to what explicitly I have to show. If we denote ##N## as the set in question, then I know that we have to show that ##aN \subseteq N## and ##Nb \subseteq## for all ##a,b \in R##. But what else do I have to show? Do I have to show that N is an additive subgroup?

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2017 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes

4. May 5, 2017 #3
    Consider ##(a + b)^{m+n}##, where ##a,b \in N##. In the binomial expansion, each summand contains a term ##a^{i}b^{m+n−i}##. Now
    either ##i \ge m## so that ##a^i## = 0 or ##m+ n − i \ge n## so that ##b^{m+n−i} = 0##. Thus each summand of ##(a + b)^{m+n}##
    is zero, so ##(a + b)^{m+n} ##= 0 and ##N## is closed under addition. Also, since ##0^1 = 0##, ##0 \in N##.
    Also ##(−a)^m## is either ##a^m## or ##−a^m##, so ##(−a)^m = 0## and ##-a \in N##.

Does this show that ##N## is a additive subgroup of ##R##?

5. May 5, 2017 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

I think you need the power ##n+m+1##. But basically, yes. For an ideal you also need ##r \cdot a \in N##.

6. May 5, 2017 #5
    In the solution to this problem in the book, it also shows that ##N## is closed under multiplication of elements in ##N##. It shows that ##(ab)^{mn} = (a^m)^n(b^n)^m = (0)(0) = 0##, so ##ab \in N##. Isn't this unnecessary? Don't I only need to show that ##N## is an additive subgroup and that is satisfies the absorption property for ideals? Where would being internally closed under multiplication fit in?

7. May 5, 2017 #6

fresh_42

Well, it does no harm and is almost obvious in a commutative ring. It shows, that ##N## carries also a ring structure. But if ##r \cdot a \in N## for all ##r \in R\, , \,a \in N##, doesn't this imply ##a\cdot b \in N## for all ##a,b \in N##?

8. May 5, 2017 #7
    That's what I mean. It seems superfluous. I just want to make sure I know what is strictly necessary to show that some set is an ideal of a ring.

9. May 5, 2017 #8

fresh_42

Then (minimal) it's (for left ideals)
    1. ##N \neq \emptyset##
    2. ##a - b \in N## for all ##a,b \in N##
    3. ##r \cdot a \in N## for all ##r\in R \, , \,a \in N##
    Of course left and right ideals don't have to be distinguished in a commutative ring, but in general they have to be. And the first condition cannot be omitted by the second (##a-a \in N)##, as in case ##N## is empty, the second condition is still true, whereas ##0 \notin N##, which is needed. So we can also write ##0 \in N## as first condition.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted