Is frequency increased when pulsed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for pulsing a 60hz frequency to amplify the distance a wave travels through space and penetrate into an object. The effectiveness of this technique depends on the waveform of the pulses and the nature of the object being penetrated. Further clarification is needed to determine the feasibility of using this method.
smiddleton
Explanation: Let's say I have something generating a frequency of 60hz. If I pulse that frequency on and off, 10 times a second, does that amplify the distance that wave will travel through space? Let's assume the medium it is traveling through is consistent for the moment. If the 60hz penetrates into an object, say 10 inches, would pulsing the frequency 10 times a second, or faster the number is just an example, would that increase the penetration distance? Thanks in advance for answering a somewhat odd question.

Physics news on Phys.org
smiddleton said:
Explanation: Let's say I have something generating a frequency of 60hz. If I pulse that frequency on and off, 10 times a second, does that amplify the distance that wave will travel through space? Let's assume the medium it is traveling through is consistent for the moment. If the 60hz penetrates into an object, say 10 inches, would pulsing the frequency 10 times a second, or faster the number is just an example, would that increase the penetration distance? Thanks in advance for answering a somewhat odd question.
No, not unless for some reason making the emission intermittent allows you to increase the amplitude.

I assume we'tre talking about EM radiation...

smiddleton said:
You haven't really defined the problem well enough for a definitive answer.
It would have to depend on the waveform of the 10Hz 'pulses', If they are good, fast square waves then you could have harmonic components well up into the kHz range and depending on what supply leads were involved, some EM Power could well be radiated by the connecting wires.
You would need to specify what you actually mean by "penetrates into an object". The 60Hz alternating magnetic field around the wires would propagate through non metallic objects but would induce largely surface currents into a metallic object.

Likes russ_watters
Tell us what you are trying to accomplish. Maybe we can help.

1. Is frequency increased when pulsed?

Yes, frequency is increased when pulsed. This is because pulsed electromagnetic fields have a higher peak intensity compared to continuous fields, resulting in a higher frequency.

2. How does pulsed electromagnetic field affect frequency?

Pulsed electromagnetic fields can increase the frequency of electromagnetic waves. This is because the pulsing action creates a higher peak intensity, which in turn increases the frequency of the wave.

3. Can pulsed electromagnetic fields change the frequency of a wave?

Yes, pulsed electromagnetic fields can change the frequency of a wave. The pulsing action creates a higher peak intensity, which in turn increases the frequency of the wave.

4. What is the relationship between pulsed electromagnetic fields and frequency?

The relationship between pulsed electromagnetic fields and frequency is that pulsed fields have a higher peak intensity, resulting in a higher frequency compared to continuous fields.

5. How does the frequency of a pulsed electromagnetic field compare to a continuous field?

The frequency of a pulsed electromagnetic field is higher compared to a continuous field. This is because the pulsing action creates a higher peak intensity, resulting in a higher frequency.