Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is gravitational attraction finite?

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    Is there a distance where the curvature in spacetime created by an object's mass ends? Is it a finite gravity well or does the curvature just get infinitely weaker?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Both Newton's and Einstein's theories of gravity, as far as I know, give a gravity field that extends infinitely, approaching 0 as the distance approaches infinity.

4. Jan 6, 2010 #3
    So if gravitational attraction is infinite, does that mean there is no such thing as flat, empty spacetime? Is all spacetime warped in some way or another?

5. Jan 6, 2010 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There's not even such thing as empty space. Look around you at night - space is filled with stuff.

However, that doesn't mean that flat spacetime is not a useful idealization, like a frictionless plane or a stretchless rope.

6. Jan 6, 2010 #5
    Yea empty probably wasn't the best word choice. I meant a region of spacetime unaffected by any objects/their gravitational pull.

7. Jan 6, 2010 #6
    I'd imagine that there must be a point in space where the sum of gravitational components is 0. but for the sake of your question,there is no where in space unaffected by a force.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook