Is gravitational attraction finite?

• Thread starter Codester09
  • Start date
Is there a distance where the curvature in spacetime created by an object's mass ends? Is it a finite gravity well or does the curvature just get infinitely weaker?

Answers and Replies

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Both Newton's and Einstein's theories of gravity, as far as I know, give a gravity field that extends infinitely, approaching 0 as the distance approaches infinity.

So if gravitational attraction is infinite, does that mean there is no such thing as flat, empty spacetime? Is all spacetime warped in some way or another?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
There's not even such thing as empty space. Look around you at night - space is filled with stuff.

However, that doesn't mean that flat spacetime is not a useful idealization, like a frictionless plane or a stretchless rope.

Yea empty probably wasn't the best word choice. I meant a region of spacetime unaffected by any objects/their gravitational pull.

I'd imagine that there must be a point in space where the sum of gravitational components is 0. but for the sake of your question,there is no where in space unaffected by a force.