Is Heisenberg principle applicable to a photon?

In summary, the uncertainty principle in the relativistic case requires the introduction of new physical principles.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I wonder if Heisenberg principle (both [tex]\Delta p \Delta x \geq \frac{\hbar }{2}[/tex] and [tex]\Delta E \Delta t \geq \frac{\hbar }{2}[/tex]) can be applied to photons.
Say I have a laser emitting a flash. I know very well the wavelength of the photon, therefore its momentum. Also, I know well where it might be: it travels at c and must lie somewhere inside the cross section area of the laser beam situated at a distance ct from the laser, if I consider a time t after emission. Which seems to contradict that if I know well the momentum of the laser, I shouldn't know well where it is.
The same doubt arises with the relation between [tex]\Delta E[/tex] and [tex]\Delta t[/tex]. I know very well the energy of a laser photon since I know very well its wavelength. And I do so at any time...
Unless [tex]E\neq \frac{hc}{\lambda}[/tex]...
So I don't understand if I'm missing something or if Heisenberg's principle cannot be applied to photons.

Physics news on Phys.org
It applies to lasers. You don't know the wavelength as well as you think. Common notion is that a laser is monochromatic, and compared to natural light, "it is", but there is a uncertainty to the wavelength that prevents it to be perfectly monochromatic.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
It applies to lasers. You don't know the wavelength as well as you think. Common notion is that a laser is monochromatic, and compared to natural light, "it is", but there is a uncertainty to the wavelength that prevents it to be perfectly monochromatic.

That explains everything... thanks a lot.

I think you will find the discussion in Landau, vol 4, section 1, "The uncertainty principle in the relativistic case" to be very illuminating.

"At first sight, one might expect that the change to a relativistic theory (of QM) is possible by a fairly direct generalization of the formalism of non-relativistic quantum mechanics. But further consideration shows that a logically complete relativistic theory cannot be constructed without invoking new physical principles..."

1. What is the Heisenberg principle?

The Heisenberg principle, also known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle.

2. Is the Heisenberg principle applicable to photons?

Yes, the Heisenberg principle is applicable to all particles, including photons. However, the uncertainty is much smaller for photons compared to other particles due to their lack of rest mass.

3. How does the Heisenberg principle apply to photons?

The Heisenberg principle applies to photons in the sense that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a photon at the same time. This is because photons have both wave-like and particle-like properties, making it difficult to determine their position and momentum simultaneously.

4. Why is the Heisenberg principle important when studying photons?

The Heisenberg principle is important when studying photons because it highlights the inherent uncertainty and unpredictability of quantum phenomena. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level.

5. Are there any exceptions to the Heisenberg principle for photons?

No, there are no exceptions to the Heisenberg principle for photons. This principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and applies to all particles, including photons.