Is Homework Help Considered Plagiarism? A Scientist's Perspective

• Thread starter Crosshash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation is about whether asking for help on a question is considered plagiarism. It is mentioned that it depends on the professor's rules and whether the forum's rules on homework help are being followed. The conversation concludes that it would be a good idea to consult with the professor and possibly show them the forum's rules on homework help for their opinion.
Crosshash
I usually find myself asking a question here if I get stuck on a question. Is this plagiarism?

Physics news on Phys.org
Crosshash said:
I usually find myself asking a question here if I get stuck on a question. Is this plagiarism?

I would think that it would depend on your professors' rules, and whether the PF Rules on Homework Help were being obeyed. That's why we have 'em.

berkeman said:
I would think that it would depend on your professors' rules, and whether the PF Rules on Homework Help were being obeyed. That's why we have 'em.

Guess I'll have to ask him next time I see him. I suppose the rules being obeyed make sense though.

Crosshash said:

Asking for help and learning how to solve something is not plagiarism. That's why an effort needs to be made to get help.

It's up to you to learn how. There is no Exam Help thread after all, and that will be all up to you if you don't learn how to do it.

As Berkeman suggests though your Professor may have more specific ideas about that.

Crosshash said:
Guess I'll have to ask him next time I see him. I suppose the rules being obeyed make sense though.

Maybe print out a copy of the PF Rules in the part about Homework Help, and show that to your prof for his/her opinion. It would be interesting to hear back what their thoughts are.

Yeah, I'll pay him a visit with the rules (which I've just printed) on Monday. Thanks for the words. I'd like to see this thread stay open just so I can see what other people have to say on this topic.

Thanks.

1. What is plagiarism?

Plagiarism is the act of using someone else's ideas, words, or work without giving proper credit or attribution.

2. Is using homework help considered plagiarism?

It depends on how the homework help is used. If the homework help is used as a reference or guide and the student still creates their own original work, it is not considered plagiarism. However, if the student copies the homework help directly without giving credit, it is considered plagiarism.

3. Can plagiarism detectors detect homework help?

Yes, plagiarism detectors can detect homework help if the student copies the work directly without proper attribution. However, if the student uses the homework help as a reference or guide and creates their own original work, plagiarism detectors will not detect it as plagiarism.

4. Are there consequences for using homework help and not citing it?

Yes, there are consequences for not citing homework help. It is considered plagiarism and can result in academic consequences, such as receiving a failing grade or even expulsion from school in severe cases.

5. How can students avoid plagiarism when using homework help?

Students can avoid plagiarism when using homework help by properly citing and giving credit to the source of the information. They can also use the homework help as a reference or guide and create their own original work based on the information they have learned.