Simple harmonic motion homework

In summary, the student is asking how to calculate the potential energy of a body with a mass at the center of mass and an angle θ.
misterpicachu
Homework Statement
all below
Relevant Equations
all below
Captura6.PNG

I don't know how to start doing this homework. I would like help to
orient myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
misterpicachu said:
Homework Statement:: all below
Relevant Equations:: all below

View attachment 267234
I don't know how to start doing this homework. I would like help to
orient myself.
Welcome to PhysicsForums.

Per the rules, you need to start working on your homework problem before we can offer tutorial help. Try writing the energy equation that is asked for in the first part. Have you worked with pendulum problems in the past?

Likes etotheipi
If you cannot yet attempt the energy equation, start by identifying the mass centre the question refers to and adding the angle it mentions to the diagram.
Then list the forms of energy that need to be in the equation, then the variables which contribute to those.

haruspex said:
If you cannot yet attempt the energy equation, start by identifying the mass centre the question refers to and adding the angle it mentions to the diagram.
Then list the forms of energy that need to be in the equation, then the variables which contribute to those.
that's the problem in my classes we never work with pendulums only with springs

misterpicachu said:
that's the problem in my classes we never work with pendulums only with springs
I do not see how that prevents you from attempting the steps I listed. Have a go.

haruspex said:
I do not see how that prevents you from attempting the steps I listed. Have a go.
the mass centre gave me (√3/2)*L and then I used it as the height in the potential energy formula, is that ok?

misterpicachu said:
the mass centre gave me (√3/2)*L and then I used it as the height in the potential energy formula, is that ok?
Height from what baseline? And what about the angle θ?

Likes etotheipi
For purposes of calculating the gravitational potential energy of this rigid body, you can equivalently consider a point mass ##2m## located at the centre of mass (if you are interested, this is because if ##\vec{g} = -g\hat{y}##, we have ##U = \int_{\mathbb{R}} d^3 x\rho(\vec{x}) g y = g\int_{\mathbb{R}} d^3 x \rho(\vec{x}) y = Mg\bar{y}##), like this:
1596533020498.png

##\theta## is defined here as the angle of the centre of mass from the downward vertical. What is the potential energy of this configuration, up to a constant?

Last edited by a moderator:

What is simple harmonic motion?

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

What are the key characteristics of simple harmonic motion?

The key characteristics of simple harmonic motion include a constant period (time for one complete cycle), a sinusoidal displacement graph, and a constant amplitude (maximum displacement from equilibrium).

How is the period of simple harmonic motion calculated?

The period of simple harmonic motion can be calculated using the equation T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant.

What is the relationship between frequency and period in simple harmonic motion?

The frequency of simple harmonic motion is the inverse of the period, meaning that as the period increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa.

How does amplitude affect the motion of an object in simple harmonic motion?

The amplitude of simple harmonic motion determines the maximum displacement of the object from its equilibrium point. A larger amplitude results in a greater maximum displacement and a longer period, while a smaller amplitude results in a smaller maximum displacement and a shorter period.