Is hybridization the result of electron promotion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
mcfaker
Messages
43
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I wonder if hybridization occurs due to the promotion of electrons?

If the promotion would not occur, neither would hybridization?


Thanks for the help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
At its base, hybridization is a mathematical construction, where linear combinations of orbitals (of similar energies) are use to create new orbitals.

From the point of view of electrons, as it involves orbitals with different values of l, thus of different energy, it is in a sense related to the promotion of electrons.

So yes, I would say that hybridization requires promotion. But remember that it is just an approximation, based single-electron orbitals, neglecting electron-electron interactions.
 
Hi, acutally I came to the conclusion that my previous statement might not be true afterall, because I found the following example in which no promotion occurs and still hybridization takes place:

3579e5826a734e9ffb62f21ba8eb1a19.png


Does this mean promotion does not have to occur for hybridization?