Is it a bad idea to do quantum with Shankar without having Griffiths first?

In summary, it is not necessary to study Griffiths before tackling Shankar's quantum mechanics. While Griffiths provides an introductory approach, Shankar's book is more advanced and comprehensive. Whether or not you will struggle with Shankar's book without prior knowledge from Griffiths depends on your background in the subject. It is possible to skip Griffiths and study Shankar's book, but it may be more challenging. It is not necessary to study both books simultaneously, but it may be helpful to supplement your understanding. Ultimately, studying Shankar's book without Griffiths may make it more challenging to understand the subject, but it is still possible with dedication and a strong background in physics and mathematics.
Isaiah Gray
I have the option of doing either a one-semester QM course with Griffiths or a two-semester course with Shankar. Background is Eisberg and Resnick's "Quantum Physics". I really like quantum mechanics and would rather do two semesters, but will Shankar be too formal for an upper-level undergraduate?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, both are textbooks for undergraduates.

Griffiths is not the unequivocally best way to teach quantum mechanics to an undergraduate. Many people would say Shankar is a better approach. Point being, it's not a bad idea.

1. Is it necessary to study Griffiths before tackling Shankar's quantum mechanics?

No, it is not necessary to study Griffiths before Shankar's quantum mechanics. While Griffiths provides a more introductory approach to the subject, Shankar's book is more advanced and comprehensive. Studying Shankar without prior knowledge of Griffiths may be challenging, but it is still possible.

2. Will I struggle with Shankar's quantum mechanics if I haven't studied Griffiths?

It depends on your background knowledge and understanding of the subject. If you have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics, you may not struggle as much with Shankar's book. However, having prior knowledge from Griffiths may make it easier to grasp the concepts presented in Shankar's book.

3. Can I skip Griffiths and just study Shankar's quantum mechanics?

Yes, you can skip Griffiths and study Shankar's quantum mechanics. However, it is not recommended unless you have a strong background in the subject. Skipping Griffiths may make it more challenging to understand the concepts in Shankar's book, as it assumes prior knowledge and understanding.

4. Is it better to study Griffiths and Shankar simultaneously?

It is not necessary to study both books simultaneously, but it may be helpful to supplement your understanding by comparing the two approaches. Griffiths provides a more basic understanding, while Shankar delves into more advanced topics. It ultimately depends on your learning style and preferences.

5. Will studying Shankar's quantum mechanics without Griffiths affect my understanding of the subject?

Studying Shankar's book without prior knowledge from Griffiths may make it more challenging to understand the subject. However, with dedication and a strong background in physics and mathematics, it is possible to grasp the concepts presented in Shankar's book without studying Griffiths first.