1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best quantum mechanics text for reference in condensed matter theory

1. Jun 15, 2013 #1
    Hi everyone, I would like to ask if anyone can recommend a quantum mechanics textbook as reference for a condensed matter theorist. I am reading a book that requires material I do not remember seeing in my (voluminous) grad QM text (Shankar). It seems to me all quantum textbooks have their strengths and weaknesses.

My grad QM class used Shankar's text, which I found to be better suited for an undergrad class; it is too "talky" [which, in fact, is why I am looking for a new reference]. I took 1 semester out of Sakurai in my M.S. school, and really liked it. I hear (the late) Merzbacher's text is ok. I am told that Gottfried/Yan is advanced, elegant, and lucid, but emphasizes scattering theory, which is somewhat-irrelevant to condensed matter.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2013 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never much liked Merzbacher (I used the 2nd ed.). Try Schiff (3rd ed.). It's a grad level text that's mathematical, to the point, and clear. He is sometimes accused of not motivating results physically, but I don't find agree. He doesn't cover applications but ably covers all the QM basics you'd expect.

4. Jun 15, 2013 #3
    Are you looking into any specific condensed matter?

5. Jun 15, 2013 #4
    The field of condensed matter I'm in right now is quantum transport, where I am building a transmission function for a thermoelectric junction and considering various interactions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook