Graduate Quantum as an Undergrad

In summary, this person should speak with their academic advisor before attempting to take a graduate level quantum mechanics course. The course may be too challenging for this person if they do not have the prerequisite coursework. Additionally, this person should consider taking different courses to gain a better understanding of theoretical physics before attempting to do research in this field.
doggydan42
Hello,

I'm considering taking the graduate level quantum mechanics course offered at my university (based on Sakurai/Shankar). I am currently reading Sakurai's QM, and mostly understand the topics (I'm currently reading the theory of angular momentum). There have been some steps where I still don't understand what he did, and some problems have stumped me, mainly ones concerning an experiment or estimate. For some of these issues though, I believe I don't understand it because I don't have enough foundation in classical mechanics and electrodynamics, which I have yet to take.

I am planning on taking classical mechanics, electrodynamics, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, partial differential equations, complex variables, and maybe probability (I am unsure if a full math course on probability would be helpful).

My main concern is the workload of a graduate course. I will still be taking at least 3 other undergraduate courses, probably electrodynamics II and maybe a math course like real analysis or number theory. Also, I was thinking of taking the course even if I still take undergraduate QM.

Any thoughts on doing this and would you recommend it?

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
doggydan42 said:
I was thinking of taking the course even if I still take undergraduate QM.
Generally speaking, QM courses are designed to be taken in sequence. Normally you have two or three semesters of undergrad QM before the graduate course. I would advise against skipping the typical sequence at your school. For most students, that's a recipe for disaster. If you have reason to believe you're an exception, make sure you speak to the professor who teaches the class and go over your background with him or her. At most schools, you'll probably need the permission of the instructor anyway if you don't have the prerequisite coursework. At absolute minimum this is a question to go over with your academic advisor.

Something else to keep in mind is that often graduate schools will require students to take their own graduate QM courses. That means even if you've taken graduate QM from your undergrad institution, you'll still be expected to take it as your graduate school when you're working on your MSc or PhD. So in taking it early you may in effect be costing yourself the opportunity to take another course.

Choppy said:
If you have reason to believe you're an exception, make sure you speak to the professor who teaches the class and go over your background with him or her.
I was thinking of also asking the professor if I could just sit in on the class for one semester to see if I feel I can handle the material and/or course load.

Choppy said:
So in taking it early you may in effect be costing yourself the opportunity to take another course.
I understand the cost if I still take undergraduate QM, but if I just take graduate QM instead, I was hoping to use that as a prereq to take QFT. The syllabus of one of the professors who teaches QFT even says the undergraduate sequence is enough, but that is 3 courses. If I am ready, I was hoping to jump into graduate QM I, which is the only prereq. Or do you think it is more worthwhile to take courses on solid state physics, plasma physics, and just different areas?

My main motivation for trying to move ahead like this is to do theoretical physics research. I am starting with some experimental research, but I want to get a flavor of theoretical research since it is the area I am interested in.

Last edited:
In all of this, why have your academic advisor not come into the picture at all?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
In all of this, why have your academic advisor not come into the picture at all?

I have yet discussed with my academic advisor anything other than what I'm taking this Fall. I'm pretty sure closer to the start of the school year I can discuss this with my advisor, in a couple of weeks maybe.

doggydan42 said:
I have yet discussed with my academic advisor anything other than what I'm taking this Fall. I'm pretty sure closer to the start of the school year I can discuss this with my advisor, in a couple of weeks maybe.

This person should have been the first person you asked about this, rather than a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
This person should have been the first person you asked about this, rather than a bunch of strangers on the internet.

I'm planning on speaking with my advisor. I just wanted some advice from people who have possibly done this, or know of this. It's just advice from a bunch of strangers on the internet who know a thing or two about physics. This whole forum should go down based on what you are saying, because you are implying that anything anyone says on this forum is untrustworthy. Yes, I will be skeptical about what I hear, but I still am looking for advice. And I just thought this forum might be the best place to go to get advice right now.

doggydan42 said:
And I just thought this forum might be the best place to go to get advice right now

OK, I'll bite. Why do you need to know right now?

Vanadium 50 said:
OK, I'll bite. Why do you need to know right now?

I don't need to know right now. I am trying to see how my four years at university might look like, and I just wanted to see what some people thought about taking graduate QM as an undergrad to take QFT. Or if its more worthwhile to take intro to plasma physics, solid state physics, and other physics classes I can take as an undergrad outside of the required courses.

doggydan42 said:
I'm planning on speaking with my advisor. I just wanted some advice from people who have possibly done this, or know of this. It's just advice from a bunch of strangers on the internet who know a thing or two about physics. This whole forum should go down based on what you are saying, because you are implying that anything anyone says on this forum is untrustworthy. Yes, I will be skeptical about what I hear, but I still am looking for advice. And I just thought this forum might be the best place to go to get advice right now.

I never said you shouldn't ask that advice here. I said that the FIRST person you should be asking is your academic advisor. So read carefully!

While many of us have gone through similar situations, we are not you, and you are not me! Furthermore, I do not know your academic level, your grades, your performance, how clever and how good you are at these subjects, etc...etc. Telling someone "sure, go ahead and take that graduate level solid state physics" without knowing ANY of the background information is IRRESPONSIBLE!

Your academic advisor has several advantages over any of us here. He/she knows your situation better than any of us ever can, he/she knows the level of students taking these courses at your school, and he/she may have had experience with other students in your similar circumstances and could use those to guide you on what you wish to do. He/she may even know the level of difficulty of those courses and whether students in your situation have and successes and failures in such classes. None of us here is privy to such information.

Now, if after you talk to your advisor, and you want a second opinion, etc.. THEN I can understand you asking such a question here. It would help to hear what your advisor has said, and why you have issues with it.

I'm a physicist, I teach college-level physics, and I've advised many students. But to you, I am still an internet stranger, and I would never offer any academic advice to you based on the very little that I know of you.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Telling someone "sure, go ahead and take that graduate level solid state physics" without knowing ANY of the background information is IRRESPONSIBLE!

My apologies for misunderstanding what you meant. I see what you meant now, and I completely misinterpreted your intentions earlier. Also, when I said I could take plasma physics, or solid state physics instead, I am referring to the undergraduate versions my university offers.

The head advisor, whom I only spoke to briefly, said that he doesn't recommend it to most people because the graduate version assumes you have taken the undergraduate version. I have taken an edX course on quantum mechanics based on griffiths, and am now reading and working through the problems in Modern Quantum Mechanics by Sakurai.

My main concern is the course-load of a graduate course. I have heard that the work for a graduate course is much more than for an undergraduate course, and I was worried that if I am taking the graduate course, which is also much harder than the undergraduate version, and taking 3 other undergraduate courses, I won't be able to keep up.

I'll definitely speak to my advisor more about this since he/she will know particularly how it will work at my university.

doggydan42 said:
The head advisor, whom I only spoke to briefly, said that he doesn't recommend it to most people because the graduate version assumes you have taken the undergraduate version.

I would think that would be the end of this discussion, the head advisor doesn't reccomend it, that is pretty final.

Dr Transport said:
I would think that would be the end of this discussion, the head advisor doesn't reccomend it, that is pretty final.

Got it. Thanks for the help.

1. What is "Graduate Quantum as an Undergrad"?

"Graduate Quantum as an Undergrad" refers to the opportunity for undergraduate students to take graduate-level courses in quantum physics. This allows them to gain a deeper understanding of the subject and potentially prepare for graduate studies in the field.

2. Who is eligible to take graduate quantum courses as an undergrad?

Typically, students who have completed their undergraduate degree requirements in a related field, such as physics or mathematics, are eligible to take graduate quantum courses as an undergrad. However, eligibility may vary depending on the specific university and program.

3. What are the benefits of taking graduate quantum courses as an undergrad?

Taking graduate quantum courses as an undergrad allows students to gain a more advanced understanding of the subject and potentially prepare for graduate studies. It also demonstrates a strong academic ability and dedication to the field, which can be beneficial for future career opportunities.

4. Are there any challenges to taking graduate quantum courses as an undergrad?

Yes, there can be challenges to taking graduate quantum courses as an undergrad. These courses are typically more rigorous and require a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. Additionally, the workload may be heavier and the expectations higher compared to undergraduate courses.

5. How can I prepare for taking graduate quantum courses as an undergrad?

To prepare for taking graduate quantum courses as an undergrad, it is important to have a strong understanding of mathematics and physics concepts, particularly in areas such as linear algebra, differential equations, and quantum mechanics. It may also be helpful to review any prerequisite material for the specific courses you plan to take.