Is it a bad idea to take 19 units in 16 weeks, or delay O-Chem to next term?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of taking a heavy course load of 19 units in 16 weeks in order to transfer on time from community college and prepare for the MCAT. The courses included are Calc 3, Linear Algebra, O Chem 1, and Physics 1 (mechanics). Mentors suggest talking to friends or an academic advisor to gauge the difficulty level and recommend taking O Chem at community college. It is also mentioned that 19 semester hours for an engineering curriculum is not unusual in a larger university.
Amy1127
In order to transfer on time from community college and prepare for the MCAT I have to really scrunch my classes. I was planning on taking Calc 3, Liner Algebra, O Chem 1, and Physics 1 (mechanics) at a whopping total of 19 units in 16 weeks. Is this doable? I would not be working and all of my attention would be on school. Or would you suggest that I take ochem at a UC? Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems pretty intense. Physics 1 would use Calc 1 and 2 concepts so if you did well in those courses then your learning curve will be manageable.

Calc 3 gets into multi-variable topics like surface and volume integrals as well as vector topics which I should think will be somewhat intense. Linear algebra has some new concepts which you may not have seen before and so could be equally intense. Taking Chem would probably be pushing your luck a lot unless you have a really strong academic drive and don't plan to socialize at all.

If you have friends who've taken these courses, I'd suggest talking to them about your plans or even your academic advisor.

To get an idea of the course content for Calc 3 and Linear Algebra take a look at the site:

www.mathispower4u.yolasite.com

There are a collection of videos on the topics covered in each of these courses and see if they look familiar at all. From that you can gauge how tough it will be.

Other mentors should chime in here shortly.

Amy1127 said:
In order to transfer on time from community college and prepare for the MCAT I have to really scrunch my classes. I was planning on taking Calc 3, Liner Algebra, O Chem 1, and Physics 1 (mechanics) at a whopping total of 19 units in 16 weeks. Is this doable? I would not be working and all of my attention would be on school. Or would you suggest that I take ochem at a UC? Thanks everyone!

Why are you taking the MCAT so early? It sounds like you are just now finishing your 2nd year of university, right?

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/faq/421618/when-should-i-take-the-mcat-exam.html
In most cases, you should take the MCAT exam in the calendar year prior to the year in which you plan to enter medical school.

berkeman said:
Why are you taking the MCAT so early? It sounds like you are just now finishing your 2nd year of university, right?

https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/faq/421618/when-should-i-take-the-mcat-exam.html
Well I want to have time to study. Also, what if I don't have time to take it once I transfer? Since engineering major courses are pretty rigorous.

O chem will be a lot easier at community college I would suggest doing it now if you can.

Linear algebra and calc 3 compliment each other well and are not that heavy on the work. Physics and O chem are both high workload classes though and will eat up a lot of your free time.

If you need to do it to graduate on time then do it. You know it will be a tough schedule but its perfectly doable. I have friends who did heavier schedules(or similar) at community college now at berkley and ucla and they feel the work at those schools even with less classes is much more intense. So it will be good practice for what is to come.

Amy1127 said:
Well I want to have time to study. Also, what if I don't have time to take it once I transfer? Since engineering major courses are pretty rigorous.
If you think taking 19 hours in a semester at CC is a lot, wait till you get to big college. 19 semester hours for an engineering curriculum is not unusual.

1. Is taking 19 units in 16 weeks too much?

It depends on your personal workload and time management skills. Taking 19 units in 16 weeks may be manageable for some students, but overwhelming for others. It's important to consider your other commitments and responsibilities before deciding on a course load.

2. Will taking 19 units affect my performance in O-Chem?

Possibly. Taking on a heavy course load can be challenging and may leave you with less time to devote to each individual class. If you are already struggling in O-Chem or know it will be a difficult course for you, it may be beneficial to delay taking it until you have a lighter course load.

3. Can I still do well in O-Chem if I take it next term?

Yes, you can still do well in O-Chem if you delay taking it until next term. If you feel overwhelmed with the thought of taking 19 units in 16 weeks, it may be a better decision to wait and give yourself more time to focus on the course.

4. Will delaying O-Chem affect my graduation timeline?

It depends on your individual situation and the requirements for your degree. If O-Chem is a prerequisite for other courses you need to take, delaying it may push back your graduation date. However, if you have room in your schedule to take O-Chem at a later time, it may not affect your graduation timeline.

5. Is it better to push through and take O-Chem now or delay it?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It ultimately depends on your personal circumstances and what you think you can handle. It's important to consider your own abilities and limitations before making a decision. It may also be helpful to speak with an academic advisor for guidance.