Is it advisable to keep homework solutions?

• Thread starter cordyceps
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not to keep the solutions of physics problems when self-studying. It is recommended to keep the solutions, as they may be useful for future reference and to build upon basic principles. However, if the solutions are messy or from a disliked textbook, it may be beneficial to eventually discard them.
cordyceps
I'm self-studying physics by working through a bunch of problems. Should I keep the solutions I come up with or just trash them?

Physics news on Phys.org
keep them.

It likely depends quite a fair bit about the organization of your work. It would, of course, be best to write clearly, make special notes about certain approaches, and make comments about the solution (check the units and why it the result makes sense). If you do these things, your solutions might be useful to look over later. If the solutions are a mess, keeping them is probably worthless.

I think it's worth it to keep your solutions. So much of physics builds on basic principles. The further you go, the more often you will need to refer back to the fundamentals as it is often necessary to refer back to the solution of a simpler problem to tackle a more complex one. And like Physics Girl PhD said, it's worth keeping good notes.

Keep them... until your redo/revise them.
Sometimes there's more than one way to do a problem...
So, it's nice to have a reference to look back on... especially since it's your own work.

I'll admit... after some time, I do toss out solutions that I wrote when I was a TA or instructor... especially if I didn't like the textbook that was used.

1. Should students keep their homework solutions?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it ultimately depends on individual learning styles and preferences. Some students may find it helpful to keep their homework solutions for future reference, while others may not see the benefit.

2. Will keeping homework solutions help improve grades?

Keeping homework solutions may not necessarily directly improve grades, as it is ultimately up to the student to understand and apply the concepts learned. However, having the solutions as a reference can aid in understanding and clarifying any misunderstandings.

3. Is it considered cheating to keep homework solutions?

No, keeping homework solutions is not considered cheating as long as the student is using them as a reference and not copying them directly. It is important to use the solutions as a learning tool rather than a shortcut to completing assignments.

4. Are there any downsides to keeping homework solutions?

One potential downside to keeping homework solutions is the temptation to rely on them too heavily instead of trying to understand the material on one's own. Additionally, keeping solutions can lead to a false sense of understanding, as students may not fully grasp the concepts if they are not actively working through the problems themselves.

5. How long should students keep their homework solutions?

It is generally not necessary to keep homework solutions for an extended period of time, as they are typically for individual assignments and not for long-term studying. However, if a student feels that they may need to refer back to the solutions in the future, they can keep them for as long as they want.