1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Engineering Is it easy to go from a Mechanical Engineering background to Physics

1. Jan 29, 2012 #1
    Hi, im currently an mechanical engineering student. When i finish my BS in engineering i want to a BS in physics. Will i have to take a lot of additional courses in the physics BS?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2012 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Pretty much yes. One will probably require the courses in classical mechanics/dynamics, electro-magetic (EM) theory, relativity, and quantum mechanic/quantum physics. One may have the introductory prerequisites for a physics program, so it might only be 2-3 years for a BS in physics.

4. Jan 29, 2012 #3
    Not that I wish to hijack this thread, but I'm curious if this applies to an Engineering Physics major? Can one proceed to graduate work in Physics with a bachelors in EP?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook